Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS6 - Help: Raspy after header install - What Muffler To Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WS6 - Help: Raspy after header install - What Muffler To Buy?

Hello,

I've had my 2000 WS6 Trans Am for about a year. It had an SLP Y pipe back system with a the SLP resonator that looks like not much more than an enlarged pipe. It actually sounded awesome before I installed the headers but now:

I installed American Racing headers (came with cats and Y pipe). After the header install, I'm very disappointed with the new sound. Instead of the tight sound it used to have now it's very raspy, more like an older 350, and it's actually, (I never thought I'd say this) too loud. I like it loud around town but I can't take more than an hour on the highway since the header install.

I'm looking for someone who has a similar system that may have simply removed the resonator and installed a better muffler in it's place and gotten good results. Biggest concern is, what muffler will fit in place of the resonator? I don't want to have to replace the whole back end of the system....

I'm considering a magnaflow muffler. I don't want it quiet, just tighter and more tolerable inside the car on the highway.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-14-2007, 07:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the loudmouth with longtubes! You can replace the SLP resonator (the enlarged looking like pipe) with a Dynomax bullet or Borla XR1 muffler. Or try a completely different catback such as the Magnaflow or Hooker, they will be quite a bit quieter though but will be the ones that cut back on rasp the most.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^agreed
Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the response.

Will it be quieter than it was with the SLP and stock manifolds/cats?

Will it rob HP?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

i agree with the XR1 recommendation. will totally change the sound and make it much more pleasent.

won't rob any power either.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

im in the same boat as you right now, im sellin the loudmouth and buyin a hooker catback though. you could also try to find an slp dual/dual setup because they are much quieter
Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by at100plus
Hello,

I've had my 2000 WS6 Trans Am for about a year. It had an SLP Y pipe back system with a the SLP resonator that looks like not much more than an enlarged pipe. It actually sounded awesome before I installed the headers but now:

I installed American Racing headers (came with cats and Y pipe). After the header install, I'm very disappointed with the new sound. Instead of the tight sound it used to have now it's very raspy, more like an older 350, and it's actually, (I never thought I'd say this) too loud. I like it loud around town but I can't take more than an hour on the highway since the header install.

I'm looking for someone who has a similar system that may have simply removed the resonator and installed a better muffler in it's place and gotten good results. Biggest concern is, what muffler will fit in place of the resonator? I don't want to have to replace the whole back end of the system....

I'm considering a magnaflow muffler. I don't want it quiet, just tighter and more tolerable inside the car on the highway.

Thanks
Mike
Try this:

Magnaflow bullet, its only 4" round. Part# is MPE-14419 from Summit

Also check Ebay for prices on Magnaflow mufflers. This will sound very similar to the Borla XR-1 but at a much better price.

It will still be loud though.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the rasp, have a look inside your Y-pipe at the merge
and look for sharp edges or the end of one tube sticking
into the other, making for a dog-whistle effect. If you can
see this kind of thing then dress it down with a grinder &
stone (you may go through a bunch of ball / cylinder stones
unless you get lucky and find one that's tough).
Attached Thumbnails WS6 - Help:  Raspy after header install - What Muffler To Buy?-tsp_ory_port1.jpg   WS6 - Help:  Raspy after header install - What Muffler To Buy?-tsp_ory_port2.jpg  
Old 03-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since you already have cats, you need to do three things:

1.) smooth out the y-pipe like jimmyblue said. a bad merge causes unnecessary rasp.

2.) get your car dyno-tuned. believe it or not, since you're running so rich after a header install, this can actually cause rasp. i'm sure if you free-rev your engine in neutral, you'll get that popping sound. if you get your air/fuel ratio adjusted, you can get rid of most of that sound.

3.) if this still doesn't work, swap out the loudmouth resonator with the bullet for the loudmouth II setup. you can buy it here:
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...750e2d6af50cbc

if none of this works, really, the only thing you can do is buy a new catback or go true duals. anything else you do (like welding a bullet in the I-pipe) can help, but it's just a band aid.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Banned

go with the magnaflow or the hooker... they're both quietER mufflers and sound great.

i've had two cars w/ the hooker CB on it... i love it.

i also had the SLP loudmouth - not intended for long-tube'd cars. lol.

i ran Borla XR-1 mufflers off the header when i had a huge cam in my old car..... no rasp whatsoever - they were hung directly off the header collectors. nothing really to cause the rasp. (it was sweet)
Old 03-15-2007, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think replacing the reasonator in the i pipe with a bullet is a band aid. If his problem is the reasonator than replacing it would solve it. I have 1 12 inch bullet in my i pipe and I have zero rasp. I am tuned though.

As far as flow, the Hooker, Magna flow, XR1, and bullet flow extremly extremly well. You won't lose anything noticeable
Old 03-15-2007, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

not tryin to hijack but

"IMSLOW"- do you have any sound clips of your car with the hooker cb??? im tryin to sell my loudmouth so i can buy one but ls1sounds only has a few good clips of it.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive had the maganflow and without cats, the rasp is horrible. It sounds like glass packs to me. I got the hooker catback now without cats, and the rasp is barely noticable and it sounds MUCH better than the magnaflow IMO.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

buy a flowmaster 40 series not as restrictive as the 80 series that comes with the cat back a.then get a cutout and loose the rasp.any high flow muffler is gonna be raspy.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

The hooker system is rasp, drone free. i have it with ARH 1 7/8 headers and catted y. This system sounds awesome. It has a deep tone. I bought by hooker CB from Speed Inc for 340 shipped good deal. The loudmouth catback is raspy and loud that has to be your problem.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Loudmouth with longtubes=rasp take away the loudmouth and replace with borlamouth or another exhaust.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Moving to External.....

Quick Reply: WS6 - Help: Raspy after header install - What Muffler To Buy?