Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Car won't start...help if you can!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start...help if you can!

I just washed my car and pulled into onto the street so I could wash my fiance's car. Went to pull my car back into the garage after washing hers and my car wouldn't start. My battery seems to be charged fine, I can roll my windows up and down and the radio turns on. The "security" light stays on though so I thought it might be the sensor on my key wasn't being recognized so I cleaned it w/ rubbing alcohol. Still no luck though....any ideas?!?!
Old 03-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Sometimes mine gets an attitude and I have to reset it like this. I'm not sure why but I assume it has something to do with the key also.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

no luck w/ disconnecting the battery...I was hoping it was going to be that easy of a fix though
Old 03-17-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

You may have to find the wire that is part of the the security curcuit I believe it is orange and black under the dash by the steering column. It is very tiny!. You need to see what restiance your key is and then disconnect that cable and see if the resitance is getting down the cable from the key, Sometimes that circuit breaks in the steering colmun, you would have to plug a resistor with the same value as the one in the key into the cable at the plug and that would bypass the resistor in the key and the car would start. This happened to me once in my 01, I got a resistor from radio shack and it started right up.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

If you turn the key to "ON" and wait, and the security light stays on, and then you try to start it, it will lock you out for like 5 minutes. If you try to start it again within those 5 minutes, it will lock you out for 30 minutes. Just let the car chill for awhile, rub the key with an eraser, and go out there, turn the key to "ON" but don't crank it yet. The security light may or may not turn off, if it stays on, no use trying to start it. If it does turn off, then you will at least be able to drive to radioshack. Do what My1st Truck said, and that will fix it.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

I'll try turning it "on" w/out cranking it and see what happens. In the meantime I went over to my local GM dealer to have my key tested to see if I should have another key made. After testing he said the key is absolutely perfect and it's definitely not the key that is the problem.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Must be a gm thing,

good luck, call AAA

J/K good luck

must have gotten something wet, it will be ok i am sure

Last edited by kens03cobra; 03-17-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

How did I know the exact words of the latest post, just by seeing the latest poster was you?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Poik
How did I know the exact words of the latest post, just by seeing the latest poster was you?
Because you must be the above average child......

I hope he gets his car started...

Just poking fun, chilllllllllll

Prolly just got something wet that should not be, it will be fine.....

Ken
Old 03-18-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kens03cobra
Prolly just got something wet that should not be, it will be fine.....

Ken
It most likely won't fix itself, for long anyways. This is a known problem for these cars, just like Ford's accounting for 80% of the cars burning on the side of the road.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Well...it fixed itself this time thankfully. Came out this morning to try it just for the heck of it and turned right over. Hopefully this doesn't become a problem that shows it's ugly face over and over in the near future. Of course little stuff like this will happen to cars and of course have to be fixed, but I hate having to spend any money on my car on that doesn't make it faster or look better. Thanks for the tips guys, I'll definitely know what options I have if this happens in the future.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Launching!

It most likely won't fix itself, for long anyways. This is a known problem for these cars, just like Ford's accounting for 80% of the cars burning on the side of the road.
Known problem they wont start eh? Keeps the milage low

Guess that's why I don't buy General Mess, I like my cars to start so they can be driven.... makes it a lot more fun to own

Ken
Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kens03cobra
Known problem they wont start eh? Keeps the milage low

Guess that's why I don't buy General Mess, I like my cars to start so they can be driven.... makes it a lot more fun to own

Ken
Have any of your cars ever not started?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Have any of your cars ever not started?

My Goldwing battery died once and it would not start. Charged it and it was fine.

Once I had to clean the battery terminals on my 94 F-150 when it had 150K on it before it would start, other than that my vehicles have always started.

And yes, I am being honest...

I am just glad he got it started, and it fixed itself... and like I said, he prolly got something wet and when it dried all is ok.

Seems like you are trying to turn his thread into a pissing match between you an I, not gonna happen.

But I am sorry that is a common problem for you folks

Ken
Old 03-19-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

i had the same problem but i had to have my ignition replaced, wires got pinched around the column and i had the security light come on wouldnt start kinda lame if you ask me!!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ws6man2000
i had the same problem but i had to have my ignition replaced, wires got pinched around the column and i had the security light come on wouldnt start kinda lame if you ask me!!!!!
Thought I was going to have to have the same thing done. How much did that cost you?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

19torch99, I would really suggest you plug a resistor into the plug. It'll cost you all of $1 and it won't ever happen again. Could be a whole lot more if you wait a week and get stuck somewhere and have to get towed.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

I will definitely do that today after work. Don't like the headache of having to go through what I went through on Saturday. Thanks for the advice Poik!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

http://shbox.com/1/air_bag_disc_2.jpg Here is a good picture. You don't have to splice the wires, you can just unplug the connector and put the resistor in the end of it (attached to the side that it says to splice in that picture) and tape it up.

Measure the resistence of your key with a multimeter, and if you don't have one someone at RadioShack can do that for you provided they aren't braindead, but good luck with that
Old 03-19-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was what I did on my 01, resistor in the plug. I figured if someone wants the car bad enough...they are going to take it.

Quick Reply: Car won't start...help if you can!