Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Pad and Rotor Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad and Rotor Suggestions

First of all, I know this has been covered before, I have been searching and reading tons of posts on this for about a week, but I need some help from you guys who have experience with these brake products. I have a 98 Formula M6 and I want to keep it fairly stock. It will mainly see weekend use for pleasure and maybe 3 or 4 trips to the track a year.

I am going to upgrade my brake rotors and pads. I have decided to go with a blank rotor, though I am not sure which one has the best quality and warranty for the money. I am looking at:

Brembo blanks
Autozone Duralast blanks
Any other suggested decently priced and durable blank

As for pads, I have read a ton on these also and have not come up with a clear conclusion as everyone seems to contradict the other. I would like something with good stopping power but no noisy squeaking. Brake dust is not really a problem because I can clean that off. I am looking at:

AC Delco factory replacements (Are these ceramic or not?)
Hawk HPS
Hawk Ceramics

I am not sure if I want ceramics or not, as I have read that they are hard on rotors. I am looking for people with experience with a combo of my above choices or something similar. I am not interested in slotted or drilled rotors.

Also, which brake fluid is best and are steel brake lines really worth it for what my car will be used for?

Just a thanks in advance for any help with this.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raybestos Quietstops here for over 50,000 miles. I just took my calipers apart to paint them and install SS lines. The pads have about 50% left. Very low dusting and no rotor warpage [runout]. Raybestos is cheap compared to other premium and super premium products. The only negative is that the rotors don't have pretty slots and holes drilled in them. My OEM rotors warped after only 10-15,000 miles.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

NAPA rotors here with Hawk HP+ pads. I am running the C5 rotors on my car. The things stops a lot faster than my roomates car with stock rotors and pads.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Your question is pretty open ended. Do you have a money limit? What type of track are you seeing? Strip? Road course? autox course?

You mentioned you don't care about brake dust so thats one thing covered.

Autozone duralasts would be fine. Brembo blanks only cost a little more though. HPS would probably be your best bet. If I had a money limit, I would just use the duralast pads at least in the rear with HPS front.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Teching In

I go to a 1/4 mi. track that is about 30 miles from my house, no road courses. I don't really have a dollar limit on my spending because I want to get quality parts that are going to last. I don't want to get something cheaply made and then have to swap it out in 10,000 miles, because in the long run, I would be spending more money. I am just looking for the best bang for the buck on blank rotors and proven pads that don't squeak.

Thanks all for the replies.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brembo blanks rotors/hawk pads/ATE super blue brake fluid= best combo for your Fbody.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to repeat myself but check out the Raybestos, quality and cheap.