Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjustable LCA's and PHB?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Adjustable LCA's and PHB?

I am going to purchase the LCA's and PHB from UMI later today, the question I have is this, do I really need the adjustable ones? The car is not lowered and I do not plan on lowering it. I plan on turning it mainly into a strip car and want to keep the ride height stock. I was under the impression from everything that I read that as long as I keep the car at stock ride height then I don't need them to be adjustable. I also ordered a torque arm from UMI recently and it was adjustable. I hear about people adjusting there pinion angle to -2, what does this mean? and how will it help me? From what I read it will bite harder out of the hole, but how so? and how do i adjust this? Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Adjustable" is more marketing than anything else. The bushing ends thread into a tube as the way of attachment, rather than welded. You can thread them in or out as much as you like, therefore they are "adjustable".

This is about the ONLY way to get spherical bearings as the bushing material however.

The PHB is the piece that is typically bought for it's adjust ability. Cars that are lowered will see the rear diff move to the left. So shortening the bar to get the rear diff recentered requires a threaded bushing end.

Bushing material differs greatly. Anything other than a spherical bearing will see the bushing bind in the mount as the suspension goes through it's range of motion ... some material worse than others ...

HTH
Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need an adjustable TA to adjust pinion angle.
If you are trying to fit big tires on your car the adjustalbe lca and phb help you center the tires left to right and front to back so that they don't rub. moving the rear forward and backward also changes center of gravity. More to the front the easier for the front to lift. the more to the rear the harder the front is to lift.

generally you want the front as easy to lift as possible untill you get to a certain point the you want to keep it there. The lca are just one more thing to help adjust that.

The lenth of the TA also as an effect on center of gravity.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alright, well adjustable it is then i guess. I just didnt want to waste the $100 if it wasn't necessary. But later on down the road I would like to get some tires that are a little bigger and a little stickier than my MT ET Streets. So adjustable sounds like it's the way to go.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend adjustable. You never know how you may use it, for very little extra cost. Rod/rod for PHR too, it doesn't induce any more harshness than stock. But it's much stronger.

Quick Reply: Adjustable LCA's and PHB?