Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Slp Bilstiens with stock springs??anyone running them

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007 | 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Slp Bilstiens with stock springs??anyone running them

I was doing my research on the slp bilstiens and sam said that they were intended for the slp ss springs. But i can get a pretty good deal on some new slp's from a friend of mine. Does anyone run the slp bilstiens with the stock springs because this is what i would like to do. Im basically getting them for the price of HD's. But i need to know if it just doesnt ride that good i would like the best ride for the money and i cant lower the car right now.
Old 03-28-2007 | 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure it would be a step in the right direction, the OEM shocks leave alot to be desired, but the oem springs while they can be upgraded are far cry from the woeful oem shocks.

I'd say give it a shot,if you are unhappy you'll have a better shock that could take an SPL spring or some mild aftermarket one.
Old 03-28-2007 | 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The SLP shocks are what the factory SS shocks should have been...less bump more rebound

SLP/Bilstein Front 130 / 397
Bilstein HD... Rear 86 / 174

I got a real good deal on new SLP shocks which should be arriving soon... $368.99 + shipping. I will install the SLP shocks along with my SLP front springs and post pictures soon.

Here's a picture with just the rear SLP springs installed (1/2" drop), the front springs will lower front up to an additional 1/2"

Last edited by gollum; 03-29-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2007 | 04:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by gollum
The SLP shocks are what the factory SS shocks should have been...less bump more rebound

SLP/Bilstein Front 130 / 397
Bilstein HD... Rear 86 / 174

I got a real good deal on new SLP shocks which should be arriving soon... $368.99 + shipping. I will install the SLP shocks along with my SLP front springs and post pictures soon.
Did you consider that they shocks are valved for SLP springs and not the stock springs this gentleman was asking about? And why you do think that less bump in the fronts is what "should have been"? Bump controls unsprung weight, does an SS have less than a Z28? No, it doesn't.

Again, just like before you seem so willing to proclaim something as true without an explanation.

SLP Bilstein's are produciton parts for SLP springs. Not bad for those springs, but not the greatest for control (pretty much tuned more for ride). And the rear SLP shocks aren't any different than HD's either.

So would I recommend SLP's for stock springs? No. If ride is what you want, HD's. If you want handling then either Revalves or Koni's. But using a shock in a role it's not intended for is silly. And before we get into this whole thing about my saying this because I sell X, Y, and Z, know that I sell ALL of the aforementioned dampers and others as well.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-28-2007 | 07:13 PM

I believe even though they have "less" bump damping
than the HDs it's still well more than stock DeCarbons.
They may have been matched for the SLP Eibach
springs but what's a little more damping going to hurt,
stock?

I picked the SLP because I didn't want too much more
ride harshness when switching up to Hotchkiss springs.
I'm satisfied with the handling though there might be
more in it, with other shocks (or not). It feels pretty
right but I'm no expert. I ditched the Bilstein rears for
some Gabriel Hi-Jackers, if you don't believe me

If you don't know what you want, then adjustables are
a good way to go because you can find out with no
additional cost, what works.
Old 03-29-2007 | 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I believe even though they have "less" bump damping
than the HDs it's still well more than stock DeCarbons.
They may have been matched for the SLP Eibach
springs but what's a little more damping going to hurt,
stock?
I did not know this. THANKS

By the way...what are the bump/rebound specs of the DeCarbons?
Old 03-29-2007 | 05:30 PM
On The Tree

I have revalved Bilsteins on my v6 Camaro. There is a HUGE difference in how the car reacts to speed bumps and dips. It also made a moderate difference in how the car reacts to turns. I got the revalved in case I ever wanted to lower it (I wouldn't have to buy shocks again).

They may not be optimized for stock springs, but I like them. If Sam says there are better shocks for stock cars, then I would consider his opinion on deciding whether or not your deal is worth it.
Old 04-07-2007 | 03:04 PM
Banned

They may be a "small" step up from stock. Should be a good ride. More control than stock. I recommend revalves, Konis if you can afford them or save up for them. But they will work fine with stock springs.