Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Whiplash effect

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whiplash effect

It seems when I get my car to loose traction around turns or powerslide type driving when it finanaly gets traction it feels like a side to side whip lash. Thats the best I can describe it. When i watch videos of 240s drifting or other european cars power sliding it seems like when they come out of turns and get traction its a smooth transition, or maybe it just looks that way. I would call Strano but I thougtht someone would inevitable know here as well.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldstreak65
It seems when I get my car to loose traction around turns or powerslide type driving when it finanaly gets traction it feels like a side to side whip lash. Thats the best I can describe it. When i watch videos of 240s drifting or other european cars power sliding it seems like when they come out of turns and get traction its a smooth transition, or maybe it just looks that way. I would call Strano but I thougtht someone would inevitable know here as well.
I know exactly what your talking about. Im no suspension expert, but our stock rear suspension is pretty soft, allowing for a lot of weight tansfer and probably the main problem here. The cars you see drifting are usually properly setup, and have near 50/50 weight distrabution. I think it may just be the way your driving though, if your letting off too soon, or too abruptly the weight is going to transfer to the front of the car quickly and might cause the fish tailing. I havent had the chance to try powesliding with the new shocks yet (just got Konis on less than a week ago) but Im sure they will help cure this.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

I have Konis too and their awesome, It just might be Im letting off too early. anyone else ideas ?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Because when you gain grip, you get it back in a hurry.... Drift cars don't, and that's the idea..... We don't want to be powersliding all over the place as it's slow. Play with shock settings, they will change the rate of roll--slowing it down if you turn them up, which you might like better.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-02-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

One more thing, heres a video of f-bodies drifting (they come in around half way though) so you can see they are definetly capable of drifting.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j6bLr0ywJ...elated&search=
Old 04-02-2007, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Because when you gain grip, you get it back in a hurry.... Drift cars don't, and that's the idea..... We don't want to be powersliding all over the place as it's slow. Play with shock settings, they will change the rate of roll--slowing it down if you turn them up, which you might like better.
I kinda had a feeling that might be it .Will definitely change the settings tomarro after class. Its about time I guess. If I'm not at class or working Im getting turbo stuff for my car and I just havn't played with them yet. It takes corners unbelievably though.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that used to happen to me, and it was because i let out of the throttle to end the slide, when you need to throttle it slightly at the end of the slide to make it smooth. making it smooth just comes with practice

Quick Reply: Whiplash effect