Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gen Fbody fuel and brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen Fbody fuel and brake lines

For those who did the ls1 swap (engine and brakes) on a first gen fbody, what type of fuel or brake lines did you run and where did you get them from? where they pre-bent....etc....
Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe it or not, I ran stock 1996 CAPRICE plastic lines and a Caprice tank in my 69 Camaro all mated to the 97-98 Vette fuel rail with the inlet and outlet with regulator on the rail.

I ran C5 brakes with stock 69 Camaro hard lines. I used the OEM C5 metric flex line from the hardline to the caliper. I was able to pick up adapter fittings at the local autopart store - advance auto parts. They didn't even know they had them. I had to go in the back and dig through the rack of fittings.

I had to do some mods to my trunk and tank to fit the 22 gal monster in there, but I was also able to use a Walbro 255 pump which fit right in the tank and it works perfect.

This kept the parts OEM safe, and way on the cheap side.

There are some pics of the swap under the camaro tab on my web page www.mcspeed.com

I hope that helps.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Default lines

I got everything I needed from summit racing I ran soft line from the tank to the filter-regulator and back to the tank then to the pump from the pump to the fire wall was 3/8 hard lin with a.n. fittings and then braided line to the fuel rail. you will need an adapter to go on your fuel rail I used an adapter that was a compression fitting on one end and on the other was a 6 a.n it was swageloc brand from a local hyd. shop if you get parts from a hyd. shop ask for 6 j.i.c. fittings it is the same as a.n. just a dif. name

the brake lines were made from a roll off hard line from summit with standerd a.n. flare fittings you will need adapters to tie into the calipers and master cylinder you can get these from summit by they were out of stock when I needed mine so I got them from inlinetube.com

prebent kits can be bought from inline but they are very pricy and conversions dont usually require back to original spec equipment.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey chris, mike from pa. talked to you on the phone a long time ago about the caprice gas tank swap. tank is in, car is almost done. thanks again for the info on that tank swap, saved alot of money. check out pics on signature. did the flush windows, shaved door handles,drip rail and side markers are gone.working on olds 88 headliner, it fits almost perfect. will be put`in new pics on soon with front end on mike
Old 04-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned

Can you give me more information on the caprice tank modification?

Originally Posted by 69MyWay
Believe it or not, I ran stock 1996 CAPRICE plastic lines and a Caprice tank in my 69 Camaro all mated to the 97-98 Vette fuel rail with the inlet and outlet with regulator on the rail.

I ran C5 brakes with stock 69 Camaro hard lines. I used the OEM C5 metric flex line from the hardline to the caliper. I was able to pick up adapter fittings at the local autopart store - advance auto parts. They didn't even know they had them. I had to go in the back and dig through the rack of fittings.

I had to do some mods to my trunk and tank to fit the 22 gal monster in there, but I was also able to use a Walbro 255 pump which fit right in the tank and it works perfect.

This kept the parts OEM safe, and way on the cheap side.

There are some pics of the swap under the camaro tab on my web page www.mcspeed.com

I hope that helps.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a complete donor plastic tank from a 91-96 caprice sedan. You will use the straps as well. If you cut the hump out of the trunk floor from the donor car and graft into your first gen, you will have easy access to the pump. The lines have to be run towards the driver side, then back to the passenger. The fuel filter will mount right on the front of the right frame rail, and the lines will run up to the engine on the passenger side, cross over the top of the trans and loop over to the driver side.

Once installed, it looks like this from the bottom

From inside the trunk it looks like this:

I am running a Ford 9" and the tank was very close to the pumpkin. I used a heat gun on the empty open tank and rolled the center of it in a tad, then put a support strap from the center Z strap up and around the front center to make sure it would never touch the diff.

The sending unit is a standard GM 90 ohm, so it will work with your stock or aftermarket fuel gauge. Pump is a direct fit.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

I used a stock 3/8 stainless fuel line from Ricks, cut the hose barbs off the ends, and rebent them a little at the tank and under the hood. I don't like using aluminum for fuel lines--it fatigues easily. I also hate flaring stainless, so I used Swagelok compression-to-6AN fittings on the hard line, and I used Aeroquip -6AN socketless hose and fittings between the tank and FPR and between the hardline and the rail. The socketless hose is really easy to work with. I used the Russell quick-connect-to-6AN on the rail and FPR, and on the outlet of the FPR I used half of a Dorman tube and a Swagelok compression union to connect it to the hard line. The Russell fitting at the rail seems to have a very slow leak, but I haven't taken it apart to see why yet. I had a very hard time getting the Russell adapters on the FPR--I had to use a block of wood and a Ford tool.

I used '68 brake stainless brake lines (and new rubber line to the difff) from Ricks too. I had to do a a good bit of tweaking to adapt the '68 drum lines to the Wilwood calipers on my Ford 9".

Tons of pics at the link in my signature below.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:04 AM
Banned

did you have to run the FPR with Ricks Tank? I thought the advantage of the tank is no FPR is required.....

Originally Posted by Rodder
I used a stock 3/8 stainless fuel line from Ricks, cut the hose barbs off the ends, and rebent them a little at the tank and under the hood. I don't like using aluminum for fuel lines--it fatigues easily. I also hate flaring stainless, so I used Swagelok compression-to-6AN fittings on the hard line, and I used Aeroquip -6AN socketless hose and fittings between the tank and FPR and between the hardline and the rail. The socketless hose is really easy to work with. I used the Russell quick-connect-to-6AN on the rail and FPR, and on the outlet of the FPR I used half of a Dorman tube and a Swagelok compression union to connect it to the hard line. The Russell fitting at the rail seems to have a very slow leak, but I haven't taken it apart to see why yet. I had a very hard time getting the Russell adapters on the FPR--I had to use a block of wood and a Ford tool.

I used '68 brake stainless brake lines (and new rubber line to the difff) from Ricks too. I had to do a a good bit of tweaking to adapt the '68 drum lines to the Wilwood calipers on my Ford 9".

Tons of pics at the link in my signature below.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

69Myway,where in florida are you?Im in Tallahassee.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

My tank is from Rock Valley, the lines are from Rick's First Gen. I'm using the 'vette FPR just in front of the tank.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

Did any one mini tub their car and if so did you use a Ricks Hot Rod tank, Rock valley tank or Detroit speed tank.............thinking of ordering a tank from Ricks but something tells me I should ask....

Quick Reply: 1st gen Fbody fuel and brake lines