Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head work info

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head work info

i am pulling the heads to do the spring swap and cam reinstall. pulling them just to make things easier. question is, what else can i do to the heads to get some power out of them short of porting and polishing. i know i can go with different ratio rockers, but what else? i am going with 918 springs and an ls6 cam in a 2002
silverado with V-8. any info is appreciated

Matt

<small>[ December 10, 2002, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: slowverado ]</small>
Old 12-11-2002, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: head work info

You can always mill the heads for a bump in compression. Be sure to have your valvetrain adjusted appropriately for the change in height.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

If I had the heads off then I would definitely mill them, polish them and have a 3-angle valve job performed.
You shouldn't be scared to polish them - there's no way to screw. Polishing the combustion chamber would really help with detonation and help keep your engine alive. You can do it by hand if you do not have any tools. Just get some sandpaper and start rubbing - try to end up with the finest sand paper your hands and elbows will allow.
If you're getting the 3-angle valve job done as well then you wouldn't have to worry about messing up the valve seats. The valve job should be good for around 5-10 hp. I think it's the most important thing to do if you have the heads off.
Good luck!
Old 12-11-2002, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amarillo i dont agree about 3 angle valve job. GM has done a excellent job on factory multi angle valve job(more than 3) changing it in any way other than bigger valves will probably hurt airflow and power. I would shave heads for compression but LS! based engines dont have detonation problems in general so im not sure polishing chambers would do anything.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:11 PM
Banned

i'm looking for mods that an average joe could do with his heads. i couldn't really do a valve job or polish the heads by myself could i? i don't know the first thing about doing something like that. so, ls1derfull you are saying to just change the springs and the cam and leave it at that until i have the money to get a stage 1 or 2 package or something like that.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes unless you want to add compression. I wouldnt mess with your heads without experience with this kind of work.