LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

finished cutouts, now i got a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finished cutouts, now i got a question

i just finished fabricating my cutouts after about 7 hours of work. they turned out real nice. basically, i took a piece of 2 and a quarter inch exhaust pipe and cut it at an angle, then i cut an oval in my existing exhaust about a foot past the manifold. then i welded the angle peice to the main pipe, and put a 3 bolt header flange on the end of it, and made a block off plate to match. times all that by 2 because its a true dual system. i think it sounds pretty good myself and it does not leak. i might have pics up sometime since my explaining isnt very clear. now for my question. its not all that loud, but im sure its not completely legal. so if i want to take it on the street with it open now and then, what will the cops do if they hear it? do they just give you a fine? if so how much? i cant think of any good excuse for it if they get me. if i let out of it when i pass one they probably wont even hear it, but if i hammer on it or even at part throttle they will lol. so does anybody have any experience with cops and their exhaust being too loud?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

here it would be a 25-75 dollar fix it ticket... They can't give you any moving violations or impound your car...
Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

oh that aint too bad, do you think cops are pretty strict about it in general?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Teching In

just like with anything else, it just depends on the cop. I got pulled over for a tail light, and my dump was open, cop thought it sounded good and told me to rev it up. lol, but i think i just got lucky that night.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

We have a lot of trucks here with LOUD exhaust, but then again, it is southwest Ohio, so it's pretty much like being in North Kentucky I've been driving with an open cutout the last 6 months, never got pulled over for it. It will be loud even on decelleration when the engine is around 1700-2300 rpms. I'm installing LT's and an ORY then electric cutout right after that, so we'll see how they like that Ricers never even revved at me with the cutout open, what jokers
Old 04-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Teching In

My TA is loud as **** with the cutout off. I've had zero problems with loud exhaust.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

cool, this is all good to hear. i dont plan on leaving them off all the time, just maybe sometimes just to make things interesting. i think it sounds better with them closed, its just not as loud and obnoxios lol. i had 2 cops pull over and look at my car one day, they had me revvin it up too, but it was a parking lot. the next day all my freinds that seen me thought i got busted for something lol. and by the way, i live down a back road in a hollar of West Virginia, aint nobody cares around here, i was just worried if i go into the city or somethin

Quick Reply: finished cutouts, now i got a question