Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Problem getting enough caster in my car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Problem getting enough caster in my car.

What would cause a problem with not getting enough caster in a car? When my - camber was maxed out to -1.1 and -1.7 degrees one side could only get 2.2 degrees of caster while the other side ended up with 3.5 degrees of caster. The alignment guy said the more camber you run, the lest castor you can run because the adjustment of them is tied in with eachother. Is this normal? I ended up leaving with -.35 camber, 3.5 degrees castor on the left side, and -.5 degrees camber, 3.5 degrees castor on the right side. It took him 2+ hours to do the alignment, and 30 + minutes to set the toe, and the steering wheel isn't even centered so I really don't trust that place, so I figured I would get some advice before I try to get an alignment at another shop.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like something (or several things) are bent in your front suspension. At the ride height for Strano springs, I'd expect to see you with a max of somewhere between -1.0 and -1.4 camber (each car is different). I'd expect it to be closer on each side (not -1.1 and -1.7???) than what you are seeing.

When I was at a similar height, I had the following:

-1.3 camber
4.5 castor
1/32 inch of toe out

I'd expect your car to be similar (give or take a slight bit). This is why I think you might have a combination of bent spindles and/or bent a arms. Or, the shop has no clue what they were doing.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
Sounds like something (or several things) are bent in your front suspension. At the ride height for Strano springs, I'd expect to see you with a max of somewhere between -1.0 and -1.4 camber (each car is different). I'd expect it to be closer on each side (not -1.1 and -1.7???) than what you are seeing.

When I was at a similar height, I had the following:

-1.3 camber
4.5 castor
1/32 inch of toe out

I'd expect your car to be similar (give or take a slight bit). This is why I think you might have a combination of bent spindles and/or bent a arms. Or, the shop has no clue what they were doing.
Is there any way to check for bent suspension pieces in my driveway?

Quick Reply: Problem getting enough caster in my car.