LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Looking for some more power

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some more power

Ok well basically my car is like most of yours. It is a 97 TA LT1 with the LT4 kit into it. I have straight pipes (well my cats are hollowed out) and I was happy with it but now I want more power. First off should i just take my hollowed cats off and just put pipes in? When I get on it, it makes almost like a poping noise (its not back fire) and I thought that I read somewhere on here where having hollowed out cats isn't really good. Anyways my next thing I plan on installing is headers. A friend reccommends BBK shorties and I trust his judgement. I also think that I will make it a true dual car which will help some more. my goal is about 400 hp with out spray please. I think my car is putting out around 330 hp now but I'm not sure because I haven't dyno'd it yet. What could I expect to gain with the headers and true duals? Also what else could I install to get me to 400? I'm thinking a bigger cam and heads should be a good thing. Now with all this added power, I know im going to have to do something with my suspension because im pretty sure it has stock suspension. So what would you guys reccommend me installing to upgrade my suspension? Also money isn't really a huge deal but as always, the lower the cost the better. Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LE2 package, head and cam combo. Good for 400+ rwhp with supporting basic mods he lists.
http://www.eportworks.com/lt1.html

If you do not have to go to emissions, go with a full exhaust system header back, single 3 inch with a good non flowmaster muffler (true duals dont make any extreme amount of power more, just for sound mostly)

Shorties are a junk waste of money! Pacesetter makes beaufitul long tubes which add a good amount of power.

Slap on a CAI (or supercharger) and get a tune and youll be well over 400 crank horsepower with everything above.

Some other stuff to make you faster (not increase horsepower) new gear sets(3.73 for auto)*(4.10's for manual), street radials, torque convertor