Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Does your Exo-skel make noise when the pedal is down?
Yes, it makes noise (please reply and describe sound)
100.00%
No, it is quiet like a stock clutch
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Does your Exo-skel make noise (ring/rattle) when pedal is down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does your Exo-skel make noise (ring/rattle) when pedal is down?

My exo-skel is in, started break-in today. Everything feels great, engagement is at top of pedal, no chatter. I'm going to drive it a few heat cycles before I lay into it.

The one thing I did notice is a slight scraping or ringing sound when the clutch pedal is down. I'm guessing it's the clutch disks contacting the floating flywheel. Are you guys hearing the same thing?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just installed mine about 2 hours and i have NO chatter what so ever, it engages fine and it drives like a ****. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

My buddies car does...When he put his exo in it made his car sound like a POS..When you push the clutch pedal in, it starts to make a grinding noise...I'm going to tell him about this thread and let him chime in on this...My other buddy has the triple disk and the pedal feels great and doesn't make any noise at all....the exo makes noise and you neg a leg like a line backer to push it in..
Old 04-30-2007, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's normal for the floater plates to shimmer in this type of clutch design. You'll need a quiet exhaust system to hear it though.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Plan B
It's normal for the floater plates to shimmer in this type of clutch design. You'll need a quiet exhaust system to hear it though.
That's my guess. Like I said, everything feels fine. Engagement is great, no chatter.

Originally Posted by getusum
the exo makes noise and you neg a leg like a line backer to push it in..
Pedal effort is lighter than the cartek clutch it replaced. My cartek was in for 15,000 miles, so I guess my left leg is already built up

Well, I'm off for another heat cycle
Old 04-30-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

mine makes that noise also. as for pedal effort mine feels great and is pretty easy to push in.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

My pedal pressure is fine, but it chatters like crazy. It feels like it may be starting to slip as well. The exo-skel is the one mod that I regret doing to the Vette.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing this one back. I have about 60 miles on my twin. I find pedal pressure to be not too bad. I am getting into my gears pretty good also. I do have the same noise but mine I think sounds more like rattle? Acool whirring might sound neat but this is really not a neat sound.
So this noise is constant for the life of the clutch and won't get any quieter?
do all twin discs make this noise? At first didn't pay much attention but now wondering how annoying it will be when tops are off and windows down.Can't crank the stereo up all the time and cops dont let you have very loud exhausts here.
Would different discs not make the noise Textralia mentioned some other discs as options in the twin.
I am wondering if this will start to drive me nuts. I may wind up with an auto swap on my car yet. Seems there is always a trade off.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh wanted to add that my twin had chatter from minute one. It was not easy to drive in traffiic, stalling and jerking and chattering. And let a few buddies try also.

Now after a few miles 20 or so I did get it to be a bit better and actually went thru some mild traffic. Today at 60 miles its still pretty touchy and takes a lot of attention to leave the lights without jerking or chattering. No stalling today though. I have nittos and only 3.42 gears so maybe the stickier nittos is worse than stock tires which woudl slip a bit . The nittos pretty much dead hook at low rpm. I am hoping that the chatter goes away after a few hundred miles. I can't deal with driving this muchi in its current form too much like work. And can't understand how some of you have no chatter.If I dump it I will just jerk .If I let it out at low rpm it will chatter a good amount. Will put more miles on it..
Old 06-05-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

I think my noise is more a rattle type of sound. It might be getting a bit quieter with some break in miles or maybe it depends what is beside you for it to reflect off.
Thank god its only there when the clutch is pushed in.

My car seems a bit inconsistent in terms of being able to leave the line. The other morning it seemed really good and was not getting much chatter or jerkiness and last night seemed was getting more. It could be depending on how much I concentrate on trying to drive it smoothly It takes concentration right now for sure. And slow realease at around 2000 seems to work best currently. Faster will cause jerkiness and under 2000 usually chatter.Can't complain about pedal pressure or getting into my gears though. And it certainly seems to be one grabby bad assed motherf##ker.

Quick Reply: Does your Exo-skel make noise (ring/rattle) when pedal is down?