Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine removal question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine removal question

I am removing an engine from a 2000 camaro and am taking it out from the top and have taken out the radiator and windshield washer tank and intake manifold. Took out four motor mount bolts for each side and have taken of the trans crossmember and shifter out and master clutch and why is the thing not coming out. Is there something else that i am forgetting to unbolt?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because they always come out/in for the bottom?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

but i know that they can come out from the top. the thing will move up but when i pull it towards me it doesnt move back and i dont think i am hitting the k member with the oil pan
Old 04-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Teching In

They are easier to go out the bottom but I have heard that they can be put in through the top.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

I pulled mine from the top. if it has stock exhaust manifolds you MIGHT be ok, but you will have to remove the transmission bell housing or it is not going to come out from the top. (of course after all accessories were removed) If you can get it out from the bottom, you really want to do that. trust me. The intake manifold did not need to come off. As long as you have at least the alternator and ac compressor, exhaust, and transmission bell housing off you should be ok.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the motor mount pedestals?? Once you unbolt the motor mounts, take those tall things that are bolted to the k-member off.

If they are off and out of the way, and you are sure everything else is disconnected, just start looking at whats hanging you up. You are most likely going to need good angle on the driveline. Let the trans fall in the back some more to try to give you the space to sneak it out.

Its MUCH easier to go through the bottom in my opinoin. Quickest engine removal I ever did was removing the LS1 from the donor car through the bottom.

Justin
Old 04-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

So is it six bolts holding the k member into place? And where are they located about.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you are going to try through the bottom then?

If so, the 6 bolts for the k-member are really easy to locate. Its pretty obvious. 6 large headed bolts going straight up.

Anyway...dont just go unbolting it and letting it drop. You will need to unhook your brake lines and all too. And your steering and all that jazz... Unless you already did that.

If you are set up to remove it through the top, I would make sure you cant finish like that before resorting to doing it through the bottom. Try removing those mount pedestals and messing with the angle of things. To do it through the bottom at this point, you'll have to re-bolt the motor to the k-member also.

Justin
Old 04-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Man i appreciate it. Did a little more elbow grease and got it out of the top. Time to put it in the 67 camaro now. Back to re-installing
Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So.. what was holding the engine from being pulled out from the top then ???
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

well I ended up having to disconnect the tranny, the pedestals holding the motor mounts and one of the LT's. So basically a bunch of $hit lol

Quick Reply: engine removal question