C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Harmonic Balancers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harmonic Balancers

Hi there to you all

i have been having some srange vibration in my vette a 2002 Z06 and my mecanic is telling me it is from the Harmonic Balancers and i need to change it if so ,
has any one had the same semptoms vibration from 3000 to about 3800 RPM , any recomendations on what to chick what to look for ?

and what damper would you recomend ??

thanks for your help guys
Old 05-02-2007, 03:35 AM
10 Second Club

no answer
Old 05-02-2007, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

Over on the Z06 board my friend had this problem cause by two things. The clutch was out of balance and the drive shaft was warped as well. I would expect those two items to fail before a balancer.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

thanks my frind for your reply
Old 05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sultan(ZR-1)KSA
Hi there to you all

i have been having some srange vibration in my vette a 2002 Z06 and my mecanic is telling me it is from the Harmonic Balancers and i need to change it if so ,
has any one had the same semptoms vibration from 3000 to about 3800 RPM , any recomendations on what to chick what to look for ?

and what damper would you recomend ??

thanks for your help guys
That doesn't sound like a balancer. It really does sound like a clutch. Is it an M12 transmission? Have you had any clutch work done? Either way, if a flywheel bolt loosened up, it could do that. I would take it to a different mechanic. You should be able to inspect the balancer while running to see if the runout is correct. Changing the balancer is a heck of a job on the vette because the steering rack is in the way. I just changed mine, and it is a bear. The balancer usually doesn't go out like that. Mine actually delaminated and started to come off of the rubber hub. I believe that is common for these cars.

If you have a stock clutch, and you plan to do any major mods to the car, you may think about changing the clutch anyway. Now, since you have the LS6 clutch, this may not be as necessary as the crappy C5 clutch, but you may want to think about it. Reason being, if you plan to change the clutch anyway, you can change that first to eliminate the problem. If I had to guess what would cause a vibration first out of the crank pulley (harmonic balancer), crank, or flywheel/clutch assembly, I would have to say it is the clutch. The balancer is a little easier to change, but not by much over the clutch.

Tip, if you do change the balancer, make sure you pin it. A&A corvette will sell you the pinning kit. I used the pinning tool to set my new balancer and make the jig for the pin to insert through. It was money well spent.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by newgene
That doesn't sound like a balancer. It really does sound like a clutch. Is it an M12 transmission? Have you had any clutch work done? Either way, if a flywheel bolt loosened up, it could do that. I would take it to a different mechanic. You should be able to inspect the balancer while running to see if the runout is correct. Changing the balancer is a heck of a job on the vette because the steering rack is in the way. I just changed mine, and it is a bear. The balancer usually doesn't go out like that. Mine actually delaminated and started to come off of the rubber hub. I believe that is common for these cars.

If you have a stock clutch, and you plan to do any major mods to the car, you may think about changing the clutch anyway. Now, since you have the LS6 clutch, this may not be as necessary as the crappy C5 clutch, but you may want to think about it. Reason being, if you plan to change the clutch anyway, you can change that first to eliminate the problem. If I had to guess what would cause a vibration first out of the crank pulley (harmonic balancer), crank, or flywheel/clutch assembly, I would have to say it is the clutch. The balancer is a little easier to change, but not by much over the clutch.

Tip, if you do change the balancer, make sure you pin it. A&A corvette will sell you the pinning kit. I used the pinning tool to set my new balancer and make the jig for the pin to insert through. It was money well spent.

Thanks for the reply

I do have a spec3+ cluch one the car could that be the reason i am geting the vibration ?

i dont have any one to blance but i will check for loose bolts
Old 05-03-2007, 05:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, look at the balancer and see if it is wobbling. The balancer also tends to cause issues with the belt, check the belt for any different wear. When did they put in the clutch, did this start long after the clutch was in the car?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sultan(ZR-1)KSA
Thanks for the reply

I do have a spec3+ cluch one the car could that be the reason i am geting the vibration ?

i dont have any one to blance but i will check for loose bolts
My buddy who had his vibration was related to a Spec 3+ clutch as well. Here is a link to his post on the Z06 board. Post 40 talks about the clutch and on Page 4 there are pics of the driveshaft.

http://www.zo6vette.com/forums/showt...=105724&page=3
Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

ill be putting a ati super dampener from thunder
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=7&pcid=112

but i dont think thats your problem. i would start with the clutch
Old 05-03-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

If it is the damper, definatley go with ATI.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Actually, take a close look at the balancer. Put a new one next to it if you have to. If the outer race is starting to delaminate from the rubber hub like mine did, it may throw you out of balance. Probably not, but it may. The outer race should flush with the edge of the rubber across the front face of the pulley. I don't have it in front of me, but if it starts to come off, it will almost be right against your steering rack. But then again, it probably has less than a half inch between the two anyway.

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancers