LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock Balancer?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Balancer?????

I was just wondering if you put on a BBK aluminum Underdrive crank pulley do you still need the stock balancer??? Also does anyone have any pics of an install???
Old 05-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Launching!

You should always have a balancer.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjakester
I was just wondering if you put on a BBK aluminum Underdrive crank pulley do you still need the stock balancer??? Also does anyone have any pics of an install???
The only way you'd not need the stock balancer in your case, would be if the BBK one came with, or attached to, a new one. Which if it was a kit of sorts, that'd probably run around $180-250. (Or even more I guess)

If it's JUST the BBK underdrive, it's just as Slow6 said. You pull off your stock crank pulley (3 or 4 bolts) and then put the new BBK one in it's place. No balancer removal needed to do it.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Actually, the balancer is the (stock) pulley. You'll leave the hub in, put on the BBK, then the stock balancer/pulley goes on top of it. I had one of these way back when. It's good in theory to underdrive the accessories to free up power, but I honestly think by adding the pulley that you added back your accessory loss in rotating weight.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Yeah me and my buddy were drivin, regular, to school one day in his T/A and we just heard a weird *** noise and the car shut off. We pulled over and the thing was dumping oil and anti-freeze. When we were putting it on the trailor we noticed his balancer pulley was up against the median and we didnt feel like running across 4 lanes of traffic at 12:00 to get it. When we got the motor taken apart he somehow snapped his crank in half, broke a piston rod, and cracked the block in like three places. So now hes puttin together a 383 and he just bought the UD pulley. Guess I need to tell him to get a new balancer

Quick Reply: Stock Balancer?????