LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My car will not start for the world

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car will not start for the world

Ok, so I was running low on gas and decided to put some in my car. I put about 6 dollars worth in there. I cranked it, it started just fine, then drove about 10 feet and it cut off on me. What the? Spent about an hour trying to start it. It would not crank for the world. A day later I tried and it actually started. I was all happy and decided to go put some good gas and some fuel injection cleaner in it. As soon as I put it in drive it cut off...SON OF A B!@?$
This was last saturday when it happened.

Got any ideas on what's wrong?

If it helps, my car always had a misfire even after I changed the sparkplugs. Just got the car 2-3 months ago.
I've also recently changed the fuel filter so it can't be that.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Launching!

You have to tel us more than this. Are you getting spark, and codes, fuel pressure? Wires in good shape? Was it raining that day? Anything and everything you can think of and check will get your awnser to you much faster.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel pump taking a crap. People running their cars low in fuel have a greater chance of burning up the pump since the gas actually helps cool the pump.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel pump took a **** on you . Turn the key to the on position but dont start it . Listen for a whining sound . Thats the sound of the fuel pump priming . If you dont hear it then thats your first indication that the pump is bad . You could also put a fuel pressure gauge on it . It should read about 43 psi on prime and about 43-45 on idle . Anything significantly lower also points to the fuel pump .
Old 05-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96slow6
You have to tel us more than this. Are you getting spark, and codes, fuel pressure? Wires in good shape? Was it raining that day? Anything and everything you can think of and check will get your awnser to you much faster.
It's got to be getting some spark because it acts like it wants to start. My service engine light has been on ever since a street race against an M6(i lost). I recently went to advance auto parts and ran a obd2 diagnostic and no codes come up...???. It was hot as hell that day, sunny. I changed the spark plugs but not the wires.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

And yes the fuel pump still makes the whining noise.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CaramelPleasure
It's got to be getting some spark because it acts like it wants to start. My service engine light has been on ever since a street race against an M6(i lost). I recently went to advance auto parts and ran a obd2 diagnostic and no codes come up...???. It was hot as hell that day, sunny. I changed the spark plugs but not the wires.
You didnt get any codes because you have an obdII serial port but an obdI pcm.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

yeah prolly the pump. the pump on my 97 went out. when it did go out it had a mind of its own sometimes it would start up fine other times it would take forever. also the misfire could be alot of things i got a 96 ss in the shop right now getting a new optispark and it had jumped timing. it started missing so bad it would cut off.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:20 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

is your Security light on?

it kinda of seems like VATS grounding out. mine did the excat thing you discribed, when i pulled the ignition cyclinder out i notice the white/orange wire was exposed and grounding. i replaced it and now its fine.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

pump... but if it makes you feel better replace the opti too (since you sound like you are convinced its spark).. sounds like fuel pump tho
Old 05-04-2007, 03:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96slow6
You didnt get any codes because you have an obdII serial port but an obdI pcm.

What do I do about that then?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dragframe
pump... but if it makes you feel better replace the opti too (since you sound like you are convinced its spark).. sounds like fuel pump tho

Are you saying that just because my fuel pump is still making the whining noise that it doesn't mean it's still working?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT1
is your Security light on?

it kinda of seems like VATS grounding out. mine did the excat thing you discribed, when i pulled the ignition cyclinder out i notice the white/orange wire was exposed and grounding. i replaced it and now its fine.

Yeah the security light is on, but the lady that sold me the car said that it was because the security was bypass or something so that when the battery was unplugged the radio didn't shutdown.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CaramelPleasure
Yeah the security light is on, but the lady that sold me the car said that it was because the security was bypass or something so that when the battery was unplugged the radio didn't shutdown.
OK lets rephrase this, when you turn the ignition light to run, does the security light turn on for 3 seconds and then turn off? If so then your security system is fine and more than likely you effed up your fuel pump for running it dry.

If your security light is on and STAYS ON then you got an issue with your security system. Try cleaning the little resistor in your key with some alcohol and try it again. Otherwise your lock cylinder might not be reading correctly or could be a bad relay.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

crank position sensor..wont send spark without the sensor working well..but will start on occassion.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redneck01
crank position sensor..wont send spark without the sensor working well..but will start on occassion.
That's not true. The optispark send the spark and fuel signals to the ECM, the CPS is just a reference. Think about it, 94 and 95 LT1's don't have a CPS.

Quick Reply: My car will not start for the world