LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The slowest thing for any car... YOUR WIFE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The slowest thing for any car... YOUR WIFE!

I am curious, how many of you guys always need to try and get around the old lady so you can buy some much needed parts for your car? I have that problem. I basically need everything for my car. But if you want to do something right you need to get the right parts and parts that compliment each other. And of course all the parts you didn't know you needed at untill you thought it out, like the "well I'm already there so I might as well replace this and that means I gotta replace that too..." Well I am in that situation which means I need to spend at least 500 to start out to hopefully take care of just the bugs and problems. Then another 700 so I can take care of the exhaust work. And what I meant about the slowest thing for your car is, having a wife! I love her to death but sometimes we come from different planets when it comes to spending money! And I get grief anytime I bring up that I need to spend money on the car just to take care of the ignition problems so It won't run like a **** and make it drivable so I can put it on the road this year! I wouldn't ever have had this problem until my 1996 camaro got totaled. I was told along time ago by a wise man with 9 kids that told me this: Get all your toys you want before you get married, and when you want a new one, buy the new one first and then sell the old one. Because if you don't, you'll never get it or once its gone its gone for good! So I am curious... How many of you guys out there know what I'm taking about?! I would like to hear your stories!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

LOL!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

hehe Been there.But really if everthing is covered home life and bills. I dont see a problem.I know when i was saveing for the car i gave up eating out and everthing just for the car but didnt make her do with out.Helped me
Old 05-05-2007, 01:03 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Man, i totally know where you are coming from, "I was gonna do a 383, but i will need bigger heads, so if i sell this i got lying around i can get that....so on, so forth..."
Honestly, i put my car first for a while, i wish i wouldnt have, it made my relationship hard, but now it is back on track, she loves cars too, i dont think any other woman woulda stuck around...honestly, being put #2 behind a machine, not cool. It is good though, i actually tried to sell the offending car because it made me sick from seeing what i had done, but she wouldnt let me. I knew i married this woman for a reason!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

That's lame. She should be supportive in what you want to do. Is it her money or yours? Does she work too? If you work and she works too then who cares. If you work and it's your money then who cares. If she is supporting your *** the I can see where she's coming from. Otherwise just start giving her a hard time whenever she wants to go get hair and nails or go shopping for $600 purses like girls do
Old 05-05-2007, 02:05 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Well, the fact for me is, we need our own house, and she never spends **** on herself.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Needing a house is going to be a tough one to get around, especially when she doesn't spend on herself. Mine was kinda supportive about the car, but became less and less the closer I got. Now it has gotten to the point that if I need something, I order, and hope that I beat her home from work to get the packages. If she gets there first, then that is a different story. Good luck on both fronts, the house and the car.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Well, the fact for me is, we need our own house, and she never spends **** on herself.
I am runing into this situation myself. We want to get a house and payoff some things. I think she is just in too much of a hurry to have all those things. She want the house the kids etc. etc. I keep asking her whats the rush? Once we have kids you cant ever go back to not having them! And to top it off shes only 23! And of corse I would never put a car before her, thats just stupid! If i did that, my car wouldn't need so much at this point right now.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

lol just have your credit card bills go to a friend or relative's house thats what my uncle is doing but have some of your own money saved on the side in a checking account she doesnt know of lol
Old 05-05-2007, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I married a good woman who has no issue as long as it does not cut into my financial responsibilities. She even likes to drive the car and loves the cammed out sound. Plus she's hot.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I earn more than my husband does, but we pool our wages and spend as if its one. I have my interests (the cars) and he has his.
We both spend the 'joint' money on our interests when there's any spare, but if I need anything major or expensive for the car, I have my own business that I work weekends that is 'my' money.

In a relationship, its a 'joint' venture, no one deserves more than the other, condemning your partner for not letting you spend the rent money on your new headers is acting like a spoilt child. If you need it bad enough, work extra overtime or find a weekend job.

Just my 0.2 cents worth.
Sara Lou
Old 05-05-2007, 02:06 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by B4CZR2
I am runing into this situation myself. We want to get a house and payoff some things. I think she is just in too much of a hurry to have all those things. She want the house the kids etc. etc. I keep asking her whats the rush? Once we have kids you cant ever go back to not having them! And to top it off shes only 23! And of corse I would never put a car before her, thats just stupid! If i did that, my car wouldn't need so much at this point right now.
Olmost sounds like me and my story, but now as i look at it, im 24, i want kids, and i wanna be able to have them be 18 and me stil in my 40s to got to the dragstrip and what not, she is 22, if we get started now(and we will) the first will be born and she will be 23 i will be 24 still. That is what i want now, we need a house, enough renting ****. I honestly only recently grew up, and yea, i was like a spoiled *** kid, i am glad i can be responsible and look back and see what i was doing.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

i am 17 and my gf dont like it when i buy parts either lol, because she dont get to see me that much like when i did my cam swap she just sat in my room while i worked all night. So i just buy the parts then i tell her ater i already paid for them lol, so then she dont get mad because sometimes she gets my old parts if they are better than hers.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:17 PM
9 Second Club

Get a wife that is understanding and loves cars and it isn't as hard.... I have probably spent almost 100K on my car in the past 10-11 years and been thru three motor combos and she's still cool with it.....

Provided you take care of priorities first like bills, mortgage, etc.... if you don't do that then you're screwed.... and you can't buy a 3000 dollar set of heads and then tell her on valentines day that you're strapped and can't afford 50 bucks worth of roses... quickest way to the doghouse....
Old 05-05-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

married people!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Launching!

my wife was cool with my car habbits till we got married. Now i dam near have to beg for anything. Oh well, i still manage to get some stuff.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

My wife and I have been together since junior high and she has been buying me stuff for my car since I got my license. If we have a little extra money and I need somthing I get it. Now I have a 7 month old so she comes first then my wife and then me. Right now money is tight with one income so the car doesn't get any love right now but once we are back on are feet a new 383 short block sounds good. My wife is great just don't ask her about the car that one time a month.LOLOLOLOL
Joe
Old 05-06-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

God I guess I'm lucky I beat all of the younger guys to the punch my daughter is seven, She left with a guy we knew now I am 28 divorced I have the best of both worlds. But I caught hell for every little thing that was for me. If it was her she acted like I owed her. I just got a bad apple so do not not all women are like that. Just after the first one you are always lookin over your shoulder.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

I stash cash for my rainy day fund; I try to save up money so I can pay cash and she's never the wiser. I've got two kids though so the car takes a back seat to making sure the kids have what they want without spoiling them too bad !
Old 05-06-2007, 01:36 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by 95zpro
I stash cash for my rainy day fund; I try to save up money so I can pay cash and she's never the wiser. I've got two kids though so the car takes a back seat to making sure the kids have what they want without spoiling them too bad !
HAHHA, i am planning on kids now, so i am like "9 MONTHS, GET THIS **** FINISHED!!!"

Quick Reply: The slowest thing for any car... YOUR WIFE!