LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is goin on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is goin on?

Need a little help diagnosing a annoying problem. First of its a obd1 lt1 with a front mount turbo. In the last week the exhaust tone is a lot weaker and sounds almost like a beat up fan. Similar to a problem i had with a burnt wire when i had LT's. Throttle response is also way off. I have a definet lose in power. THe car still drives fine and readings are normal. Checked all wires and plugs everything is connected and nothing is burnt. Just seeing what the possiblities are and what i could do to fix it. any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 05-05-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bet is valve train problem. Specifically a valve. Bent, stuck, something. If you've ever had oil pressure problems and heard what a car sounds like when just started up and the oil hasn't reached the heads yet, it sounds like a huge mess.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car sounds normally on idle and cruising but after about 2000rpms it sounds like imi waving a wet towel in the wind its a weird sound like a flappin sort of. There is one wire that is unplugged but there is nothing it could go to. Im going to see if its something with the fuel system. but im baffled. It couldnt be the opti could it? what does a dying opti do?
Old 05-06-2007, 04:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My opti's getting pulled and replaced tomorrow and when it started to act up it would studder or lag under WOT. I've done all the testing, changed plugs and wires, checked Fuel pressure, and i still had the problem. So i checked up and most seem to think it's an opti. I'm also thinking so as it's got almost 90k on the original. I'm also changing to a MSD blaster coil while i'm there too. We'll see if it totally takes away my issue. I hate when i race somebody and it feels like it's bucking or fighting me at WOT. Hope i helped at all. The flapping you hear could be a cylinder going dead which would make the exhaust sound quieter and give it a flapping sound i guess I'd have to hear it in person to diagnose it though as would most of the guys here.

Quick Reply: What is goin on?