Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauges

Have been looking in the stickys but i have not figured out how to hook up a mechanical water temp gauge thanks for the info
Old 05-08-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on what size you sender is, you adapt to the 12mm hole in the pass head. I am not familiar with mechanical temp gauges though. Does that mean your gauge has a siphon tube like a mechanical oil pressure gauge??? I have never seen one before, and don't know if I would trust it for accuracy, but like any fluid system, find a piont and adapt away until it fits.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is probably late, but ...

Check this out:

Here is a pic of a virgin block, rear passenger side where you will add the sensor...look to the left of the manifold flange: http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...anifolds10.jpg

See the hex head plug there? You can break that free, then S&P sells the tall aluminum fitting you see here (might could find one at the store) that will replace that plug and allow you screw your brass fittings and mechanical temp sensor to the head:

http://www.satellitehead.com/images/...p_on%20006.jpg

Alternately, I think in the FAQ thread at the top of the forum, you'll see someone who took that allen-head/hex head plug, drilled out the center of it, threaded it, and screwed the mechanical sensor right into it.

I'm using a mechanical gauge inside the dash of my truck, but not sure how well it is working right now - no working fans yet....I wanted to have an electric temp gauge as a backup/sanity check, but ... no way to get that info using my current harness

PS - don't forget to teflon your threads. I did and had a leak
Old 05-22-2007, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info on this but here is what i have started and hope its going to work on the water pump where the barbs come out for the heater hoses they are a press in fit so i took them out and taped the big one to 1/2NPT and the smaller one to 3/8NPT going to put the sending unit in the 1/2 hole and plug the other one its on a rock krawler so im not going to run a heater what do you think work or not maybe i can get it going soon so i can tell thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a bypass right there - I have seen people cap them off totally, but ... I have no idea if/how much it affects the flow of water through the pump, if it will at all. I say go for it, just watch your temps.