Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spongy rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spongy rear suspension

I recently put weld on relocation brackets and boxed in the factory LCA's. Everything else on the car is stock. Went to the track on Sat and the car hooked up awesome. No wheel spin at all off the line. But back to the concern, I have to drive about 60 miles to the track one way. I only had about 20 psi in the tires, but it felt like the rear suspension was really spongy. Not up and down but side to side. Will just relocation brackets make it feel this way? I know the tires will make it feel a little bit like that. I drove it about 100 miles with the only relocation brackets in the past week, and then put the boxed control arms, and lowered the air pressure before I went to the track on Sat. I thought that car felt spongy before I lowered the air pressure, and actually thought that the LCA's would help it. Any ideas or is it just to be expected with the relocation bracket and no lowering springs? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Don't drive with only 20psi in the tires. The low tire pressure combined with soft sidewall can make the rear spongy/squirmy. If you air up the tires and still have the problem, then it may be the shocks.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

It is the relocation brackets.

They put the control arms at an angle that causes rear end oversteer. They are supposed to only be used to restore a level lca angle when using lowering springs. I don't have them and I am lowered. When used w/ stock springs it will hook great, but cause a "bad" feeling on the road and may compromise emergency handling.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Must be why there are two sets of holes in them

Originally Posted by Greggy
It is the relocation brackets.

They put the control arms at an angle that causes rear end oversteer. They are supposed to only be used to restore a level lca angle when using lowering springs. I don't have them and I am lowered. When used w/ stock springs it will hook great, but cause a "bad" feeling on the road and may compromise emergency handling.