General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changing Fuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing Fuild

This probably belongs in the transmission section but I also have a differential question so I just put it here.

I should of wrote down what I used awhile ago but I didnt.
I'm about to change the fuild in the Transmission and in the Differential. What do you guys use? Also I cant remember if the additive for the differential was a big deal or not.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for your car year the additive you dont HAVE to have it....75w

use the oem type tranny fluid....
Old 05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

For the T56; either mineral Dexron 3, GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh (better in warmer/hotter climates), or Mobil 1 ATF. I would stay away from all of the other synthetic ATFs/synchromesh fluids. For the diff; any name brand mineral 80W-90 or 85W-140 (hotter areas) or a good synthetic (make SURE you have a Torsen diff first!!) of the same (or similar) weights. IF you have a Torsen, you do not have to add the friction modifier, but it will not hurt anything if you do. The dealers/GM sometimes tell you to add it if your Torsen is making any noise. IF you have an Auburn or Eaton diff you MUST add the FM and use ONLY mineral based gear oil.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

I just did the exact same thing to my car. I stuck with what the manual says and my local performace shop agreed with me. Dexron 3 for my A4 and sythetic gear oil 75w90 with limited slip additive. You can call your local dealer too. That's just my opinion, I've been wrong before, you might have a different set up then me too.