Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Freaking Monsoon sail panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Freaking Monsoon sail panels

Anyone seen this? I had a blown one on the driver's side. Since it was just the one, and I wanted to stay stock, I decided to buy it from the dealer. I paid a ton of money for it, installed it, and right away, I noticed that the passenger side is blown. Has anyone experienced this where after replacing one, the other promptly blows?

I just don't get it. This is my 4th F-body, and this is the first time I've had problems with sail panel speakers.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea heard that before -- a lot of people claim to replace other speakers, or just the HU, or whatever -- and suddenly the sails are both blown...

EDIT: usually when I hear a story like this one or both sides stops working forever...so maybe your amp is fried partially somehow...

Last edited by fredmr39; 05-08-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's what I was afraid of, that there might be something wrong with the amp. Well, I know from music amplification that the best way to avoid this is to just keep it low, so I hadn't been cranking it.

Then today, I found out that my favorite band has a new CD out, so I decided to bite the bullet and try another new speaker. Found one in stock at a local Pontiac dealer and the guy gave me a deal, so I bought it. Put it in, stereo sounds sweet, like brand new.

Then I went to pick up the CD...out of stock, special order only. lol
Old 05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

Then today, I found out that my favorite band has a new CD out, so I decided to bite the bullet and try another new speaker. Found one in stock at a local Pontiac dealer and the guy gave me a deal, so I bought it. Put it in, stereo sounds sweet, like brand new.
Great to hear you found one. How much did you pay? I need one as well. On second thought, maybe I'll be needing two !
Old 05-10-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

The going price at GM dealers is around $70 apiece. Any GM dealer can order them if they aren't in stock, but I believe they are specific to Pontiac or Chevy, so your chances of finding them in stock are better at a dealer that corresponds to your car. I've seen them elsewhere online for cheaper, but I was able to get them quickly, so in the long run I'm happy.

Last edited by Intragration; 05-10-2007 at 10:23 PM.