Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New shocks in but rear end or tranny feels 'loose'

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New shocks in but rear end or tranny feels 'loose'

I just finished installing new Bilstein HD's over the weekend and wow did they make an incredible difference over the tired stock 95k-old decarbons. But---- I notice that the rear end or maybe the transmission itself still has a 'loose' feel to it, most noticeable when I let out on the clutch, especially if cornering at all. Does anyone have some insight what might cause this? I understand that bushings wear out over time, but which bushings in particular should I be looking at and which are the most critical? ie control arm, panhard rod, torque arm maybe?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your car is a M6 then it's probably your tranny mount...

If you really want to tighten the car up and get some slack outta the drivetrain, get polyurthane tranny, motor, & TA mounts.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Teching In

I just replaced the tranny mount with a new one, the 1LE spec mount, and it made a little bit of a difference, but it still feels like the rear end is very clunky when releasing the clutch. I'm not getting poly motor or tranny mounts, because of previous experience with them. Would worn engine mounts cause this, and do poly torque arm bushings make a huge difference, or should I just try new rubber ones?
Old 05-23-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trexbob
I just replaced the tranny mount with a new one, the 1LE spec mount, and it made a little bit of a difference, but it still feels like the rear end is very clunky when releasing the clutch. I'm not getting poly motor or tranny mounts, because of previous experience with them. Would worn engine mounts cause this, and do poly torque arm bushings make a huge difference, or should I just try new rubber ones?
i'd definitely replace the torque arm bushing with a poly one (if for no other reason than rubber ones are harder to find), and would recommend poly LCA bushings at the least, if not a full upgrade to poly/poly or poly/rod LCA's

Quick Reply: New shocks in but rear end or tranny feels 'loose'