Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking the ls1 offroad, what should i be careful with

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default taking the ls1 offroad, what should i be careful with

if i plan on taking the jeep offroad with the ls1 on it, going through mudd and all sorts of things would be in hand. do ya'll think it will be alright? what things under the hood on the GM are venerable
Old 05-11-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fbody LS1s have the obvious danger of the low mount alternator hot lead.

The crank position sensor is just above the starter, I guess the wires could get messed up.

The coolant temp sensor is on the driver's side. It's sorta flimsy.

That's all I can think of off hand.....
Old 05-11-2007, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

cast aluminum oil pan?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Watch out for the plastic power steering pulley. In desert/sandy conditions they will fail due to abrasive wear. A Howe hub/pulley is the way to go.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen LSx Rock Crawlers and Sand Rails.. as long as you have protected all of the items everyone has said, you should be ok.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definetly build a heavy skid for that oil pan. Ive dented them up into the crank before, and have been able to pull them back down and continue. But if you crack that sucker open, you might be in trouble.

Otherwise, they are pretty good to go. everything is weatherproof to a certain degree, so it should take some splashes on the connectors without too much issue.

If you are feelin creative, Ide try to build a splash shield for the ALT. But for what its worth, my XJ has the alt mounted below like the lS1 and Ive been in muddy water up over my hood. No problems so far...

Just use your smarts and catch the obvious issues before they become issues.

Justin

P.S.... Oh and the LS1 will probably explode...if you dont post up vids when you are done!!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

how about the pvc sucking oil in extreme angle situations...ive seen some do that..maybe a catch can in that system...

steve
Old 05-12-2007, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

a heavy skid plate on the oil pan seen them busted many times
Old 05-12-2007, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

a buddy of mine hit a paving stone and put a hole in the pan the size of a softball i think a badass skid plate is in order
Old 05-12-2007, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

a buddy of mine hit a paving stone and put a hole in the pan the size of a softball i think a badass skid plate is in order
Old 05-12-2007, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On numerous occasions I drove my 2500 HD thru hi-water 1-2 ft. deep and it never missed a beat , but the last time I did it the water was a " little " deeper it was over the front bumper , looked really cool to see the water go strait up and into the windshield . Only thing that happened was the air filter got soaked and it started to miss above light throttle. Dried out the air filter and it ran fine these motors are pretty much waterproof , with the exception of the knock sensors under the intake manifold they will get wet and they hold the water around them , and they will rust and the wire connectors will corrode . A few days later the check engine light came on and it ran like **** , knock sensor code. When I replaced them both and the wire harness. I used lots of silicone grease on the wire connector and used lots of silicone rubber sealer on the rubber plug over them to keep the water out. I'm sure if you would put a snorkle on it it will run under water . go out and have some fun. Stan
Old 05-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Do some research on Pirate4x4.com for oil starvation problems. I think I found two engines that burned up due to off camber wheeling. I'm still trying to find out what was the issue but several others have gone to a sump system.

BTW Be warned. Pirate is not the kindest place. THe search function will not search on less than four letters (ie. "oil", "LS1", etc) Try "starvation sump".
Old 05-13-2007, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

I'll second that about pirate4x4. Bunch of punk a-holes over there, for the most part, but there is some good information on the search function. I wouldn't recommend asking a question over there, unless you want to get ripped

Last edited by cvman; 05-13-2007 at 05:17 PM.