General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

For those that are having A/C issues and have the V5/7 variable stroke compressors...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default For those that are having A/C issues and have the V5/7 variable stroke compressors...

I ran across THIS

The V5/7 compressors DON'T cycle because they are a variable displacement compressor. They just destroke when needed. The LS1 fbody's have the V7 type. I am not sure what the LT1 fbody's have, but I know it's not the V7.

Paul

Last edited by JR HAWK 9; 05-15-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Thanks for sharing that tip... That's the problem my '99 T/A is having.... the dealer here in Tampa wants $800 for a new compressor, and I was going to sell the car because I was suspecting that someone had used a sealer in it, in which, pretty much, the whole system must be replaced.

My high side pressure has been 150 - 175, and low side was 65 - 75, with the ambient temp around 85F. I started out thinking my orfice was blown out, so I replace the orfice and accumulator, and it worked ok until I got to full charge, when the low side went from 45 - 75 quickly.. I'm going to replace the RCV as soon as I can find one, but this time I am going to use an adjustable orfice to try and get a little better cooling at idle. Hopefully that should do it..... Once again, thanks
Old 05-27-2007, 04:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gtyler2
Thanks for sharing that tip... That's the problem my '99 T/A is having.... the dealer here in Tampa wants $800 for a new compressor, and I was going to sell the car because I was suspecting that someone had used a sealer in it, in which, pretty much, the whole system must be replaced.

My high side pressure has been 150 - 175, and low side was 65 - 75, with the ambient temp around 85F. I started out thinking my orfice was blown out, so I replace the orfice and accumulator, and it worked ok until I got to full charge, when the low side went from 45 - 75 quickly.. I'm going to replace the RCV as soon as I can find one, but this time I am going to use an adjustable orfice to try and get a little better cooling at idle. Hopefully that should do it..... Once again, thanks

update: I ordered the RCV from a company by the name of Bright Auto. I paid 59.00 for it, which was a savings of around 100 bucks versus what the dealer wanted for it... I installed the RCV, and evac. the system and then charged it up, and voila! I now have Ice Cold A/C.....
Old 05-27-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

that's great news!!