Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

installed replacement monsoon and car wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Default installed replacement monsoon and car wont crank

i just replaced my stock monsoon with a newer stock one. i disconnected the battery during the install, but im not getting a loc notice on the radio, it works fine. when i try to start the car, the security light comes on, the light on the dash goes out, and i hear a very faint clicking noise. i know the battery is on the way out, but im hoping this is just the security code. i havent had time to test that but i was hoping you guys had some input.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Monsoon security codes had nothing to do with the car starting.. What did you replace? Everything (including wiring)? Why did you replace Monsoon with...Monsoon in the first place?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just replaced the stock monsoon with cd with the exact same thing from a 2000 formula. it sounds like it really is just the battery system that is dead then because it gets worse week by week even though it is just sitting.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
i just replaced the stock monsoon with cd with the exact same thing from a 2000 formula. it sounds like it really is just the battery system that is dead then because it gets worse week by week even though it is just sitting.
week by week? huh? -- so you've had this problem for weeks and the car does not crank -- that is what I am getting out of this so far -- please correct me because that sounds unlikely.

OK so you replaced the HU ONLY...right? Sorry - when you said "Monsoon" -- I assumed the whole system, or at least partially (including the amp) since the HU is just the normal Delco HU (nothing special about it in the Monsoon system).

EDIT: I see you have a '96???..
Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, its been getting worse for a few weeks. i only really have time to do anything on weekends, so that is when i notice it. its only sitting now until i get a few remaining parts, and then all the things that are pissing me off about it are getting torn apart.

EDIT: last week i didnt think it was going to start but it did. this week it wont even crank
Old 05-18-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, its been getting worse for a few weeks. i only really have time to do anything on weekends, so that is when i notice it. its only sitting now until i get a few remaining parts, and then all the things that are pissing me off about it are getting torn apart.

EDIT: last week i didnt think it was going to start but it did. this week it wont even crank
OK - so the car DOES crank...I have no idea why your first post made it seem like the car wasn't cranking or starting AT ALL -- I guess it's because you said it didn't crank and you thought security code had to do with it, etc..

What remaining parts are you talking about? What are you doing to it/what is pissing you off besides the slow cranking?

It's most likely (obviously) your battery that is on its last leg....from what I understand. --I still feel like I'm very confused reading your posts -- am I missing anything? Is anyone else reading this as confused as I am or has sleep deprivation kicked in?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally the clicking is when the starter solenoid operating, but there is not enough current to turn the starter. Sounds like the battery is weak.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you able to jump start it?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Normally the clicking is when the starter solenoid operating, but there is not enough current to turn the starter. Sounds like the battery is weak.
so you are reading it as the car does NOT start ever? That's how I took it...but if this problem has been going on for weeks and he hasn't fixed it/asked for help, that confuses me -- and why the battery wouldn't be suspected confuses me.......

after re-reading though that has to be the case -- of course it gets worse week by week if the car is just sitting and the charging system doesn't have a chance to operate... if you knew the batt was on it's way out -- and suddenly this problem.....along with the fact that it gets worse week by week........well, check the batts voltage, and get a new one in there -- it's near the end of May -- your car wants to be driven -- stop letting it sit!
Old 05-19-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

the reason its sitting is im waiting on springs to arrive that will actually give it some kind of clearance. the battery was charged about two weeks ago and it seemed fine, thats why i didnt think that would be it right away. the other things that are pissing me off are swaybar links, overheating (OLD coolant), emissions, and other random quality ****.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like battery to me
Old 05-20-2007, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

the reason its sitting is im waiting on springs to arrive that will actually give it some kind of clearance. the battery was charged about two weeks ago and it seemed fine, thats why i didnt think that would be it right away. the other things that are pissing me off are swaybar links, overheating (OLD coolant), emissions, and other random quality ****.
You said it's been sitting a couple of weeks -- and you put a new battery in two weeks ago..... So if you are telling the truth, the battery went in at the same time or after your stereo. That would mean the car has never actually been started with the new battery...... that would ALMOST eliminate it being a battery problem, unless you drained it or it had a weaker initial charge for soem reason and has never been able to recharge since the car hasn't been running.

More likely though -- you're not telling it accurately.

How long did that battery before that one last? -and did it die quickly suddenly after you messed with something?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry, i meant two months ago, not two weeks. im pretty sure it is the battery now though.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Strange...I would do some testing with the charging system or check for drains when the car is off (though it sounds more like the charging system in your case).
Old 05-22-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, i replaced the battery with an optima. the alternater tested to be low but fine. i think the battery may have been arcing on a very nearby piece of metal. it did not have covers on the posts but the new one does.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i got post covers and it is still draining, so it must be something electrical. i think i am just going to take it someplace that specializes in electronics.