Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Neon Tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Neon Tube

I have a 15" neon tube by the rear subs and wondered how I can get it to come on when I turn the amps on. Can I run it through the amps some way instead of running the leads to the front of the car? Thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you make your amp come on?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
I have a 15" neon tube by the rear subs and wondered how I can get it to come on when I turn the amps on.
I think you can use a relay that is activated by the remote turn-on wire that turns on the amp.

In other words, put the relay in-line with the positive going to the neons and have the remote turn-on wire branched to the activation terminal on the relay.

Can I run it through the amps some way instead of running the leads to the front of the car?
You still need to provide power to the neon because I don't think the remote turn-on can handle the neon in addition to its normal function. (It might, but why chance it?) You can get the power from the main power leads going to the amp though.

That would be a "steady on" scenario.
If you want sound pulses, you need a neon that has that feature built in.

Hey Whitebird00, can you confirm that I'm thinking/describing this correctly?

Last edited by VIP1; 05-22-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds right? I was thinking taking my red lead wire and running it to the power ground going to the battery and the black wire from the neon and sending it to the ground to the car. I guess this wouldn't work? I have it like this and it doesn't come on. I guess I can run the two wires to the fuse box up front. I do have the pulse built in to the neon and would like that to work.

Any other ideas? How do they do the neons built in the amp boxes?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
I think you can use a relay that is activated by the remote turn-on wire that turns on the amp.

In other words, put the relay in-line with the positive going to the neons and have the remote turn-on wire branched to the activation terminal on the relay.

You still need to provide power to the neon because I don't think the remote turn-on can handle the neon in addition to its normal function. (It might, but why chance it?) You can get the power from the main power leads going to the amp though.

That would be a "steady on" scenario.
If you want sound pulses, you need a neon that has that feature built in.

Hey Whitebird00, can you confirm that I'm thinking/describing this correctly?
Exactly right.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That sounds right? I was thinking taking my red lead wire and running it to the power ground going to the battery and the black wire from the neon and sending it to the ground to the car. I guess this wouldn't work? I have it like this and it doesn't come on. I guess I can run the two wires to the fuse box up front. I do have the pulse built in to the neon and would like that to work.

Any other ideas? How do they do the neons built in the amp boxes?
What is a "power ground"? That is a contradiction in terms.

You must have at least three wires going to your amp (not counting audio signal wires) - a power wire, a ground wire, and a remote turn-on wire (which is also power but with a low current draw).

Either run new power and ground wires for your neon or connect it to the power and ground wires you use for the amp. Connect them through a relay that is triggered by the same remote turn-on wire as the amp so that the neon will only light when the amp is on.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
What is a "power ground"? That is a contradiction in terms.
I was confused by that one too.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, didn't mean to say Power Ground and put the words together. I think I know what to do now and thanks for all the help.