General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Smell at startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell at startup

New Camaro owner here. 2001 M6 with 54,000 miles. I notice that sometimes when I start the car there is a smell that lingers for a couple minutes. It doesn't smell like gas or burning oil, but something definitely petroleum-based. The car is pretty much stock, with the exception of an SLP lid, SLP MAF, and catback (which I installed a few days ago, but the smell was there before the catback).

The previous owner ran full synthetic motor oil, and everything looked good as far as levels. Can a mostly stock car run rich at idle? Just curious if you guys have seen this before and can offer any suggestions. Thank you.

P.S. After it warms up, the smell is non-existent.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be several things, from a wire touching something, to a leaky valve dropping oil in the cyclinder...most likely.....check for oil leaks under the car as well
Old 05-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 02 A4 WS6 in August of 2006, only 13K miles, and I too was getting an occasional odor on start-up. Best I could describe it was "Burnt Oil"...and only for about a minute or less. I have since replaced the PCV valve with one that is mentioned in several threads about excess oil consumption on LS1's. It seems to have eliminated the odor at startup. GM Part number is 12572717. Cost me about $9.50 at Pontiac.