Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Best place to buy..

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to buy..

I was told the best shifter for the c5 was a stock c6 zo6 shifter? If this is true, where is a good place to pick one up at? Another question is that the car is somewhat of a DD. I will end up taking long trips in it. To go to various car events. I`m not super comfortable with open element filters and there position in the vettes. I have a friend with a blackwing and has hydro locked the motor. MTI was saying to switch to a c6 z06 box, This is what they told him. Any opinions is appreciated.

Droptopc5
Old 06-06-2007, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

lol he hydrolocked the motor?! what did he do drive into a river i think it is pretty hard to hydrolock the motor with just an open element filter i for one have the raptor xxl and its pretty good i never hydrolocked but anyway imo i would go with a hurst short throw shifter and vararam b2 just a thought.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:31 PM

I asked him the same..and he says just a bad rain storm.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Launching!

I've got the blackwing and once got caught in a serious rain storm. No issues at all for me. I'm happy with the system although I've heard the Vararam produces better HP if you can put up with the frustrating installation. I also have the Hurst shifter and think it's a great choice.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:27 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

I'm betting he didn't have a hood seal. Without it water can pass through onto the air box, or in this case the open element. As for the shifter I'm partial to the BPP cut down an inch. My suggestion for finding one is to find a few people who have aftermaket shifters and see how they feel before buying one. What's right for me may suck for you.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with the vararam and love it. Also I'm with MJD and I have the BPP shifter. My friend used to have a Hurst shifter in his car, let him try the BPP out and he went and got a BPP shifter. I like it because you can put the handle any where you want it at, it has a nice short throw to it and you can change the springs too. I put the softest springs in it and driving it the shifter loosens up great and doesn't wear your arm out.

www.breathlessperformance.com
Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by droptopc5
I have a friend with a blackwing and has hydro locked the motor.
Hood seal is absolutely necessary in my eyes. It costs $5, no reason not to have one!!

As far as a shifter, I've heard lots of good things about the C6Z shifter... but some of the aftermarkets wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Poke around on corvetteforum, that'll give you a bigger sample size of Corvette owners and what guys have liked/disliked.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 AM

Thanks for all of the replies guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2007, 01:25 PM
FormerVendor

I recently swapped from a shortened C5 shifter to a C6Z shifter in my personal car. The C6Z shifter beats it, hands down. I also like the C6Z shifter over my previous B&M Ripper.

The C6Z shifter I bought includes not just the shifter, but also the shifter assembly that the linkage attaches to. Nice mod IMHO. I bought mine retail through another vendor that does not appear to be a sponsor here. If you don't find one on here or elsewhere feel free to give us a call -- we get good prices on GM parts.

If we can't get one quickly/inexpensively enough for you, I can point you to the vendor I bought mine from.

1-800-364-1975
Old 06-09-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony @ MPH
I recently swapped from a shortened C5 shifter to a C6Z shifter in my personal car. The C6Z shifter beats it, hands down. I also like the C6Z shifter over my previous B&M Ripper.

The C6Z shifter I bought includes not just the shifter, but also the shifter assembly that the linkage attaches to. Nice mod IMHO. I bought mine retail through another vendor that does not appear to be a sponsor here. If you don't find one on here or elsewhere feel free to give us a call -- we get good prices on GM parts.

If we can't get one quickly/inexpensively enough for you, I can point you to the vendor I bought mine from.

1-800-364-1975

Anyway you could post a pic of your shifter setup? Thanx!

Old 06-09-2007, 05:09 PM
FormerVendor

Sure, no problem. Here are a few shots that may help.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

I does not look nice, stock C5 shifter is way cool in shape

Quick Reply: Best place to buy..