Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Conserving heat energy

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conserving heat energy

On a turbo setup, I was thinking that injecting water into the exaust(ahead of the turbo)would make the turbo screem. But more thought on this has lead me to improve my idea(as they say"One idea leads to another".) If waste gates are be'n used, its odviouse that getting anough presser isn't a problem. And infact the pressure exerted on the turbo will give the motor back pressure, causing the motor to "push" the turbo(no free energy here.) But heres my final version :
If a sealed shield were put around the exaust manifolds,and the water injected in there, then the steam would flow threw the turbo,condence and run back threw the manifold, then you would be converting the heat loses into boost. In other words you would have a supercharged motor ran off of steam, and the steam would be a result of the heat losses from the motor(combustion). The energy to run the blower would not load the motor. So we call it free energy. The motor would need egt readings of at least 212 degreas(not a problem) to turn the water into steam

Does any one know if this has been done before?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could even run the water through the block instead of coolant first to heat it up before it gets to the manifolds. It's been done before in power plants and is known as combined cycle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_cycle The problem with doing it in a car engine would be the packaging and the fact you have to carry the water with you.

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/12/09/b...-hot-and-goes/

This guy has a similar idea http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...THISWEEKSISSUE
Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the links. They kind of make me think my idea would work.
I think I might have an idea how that 6 stroke engine works,but I'm just gessing. If you inject water in, after the exaust stroke, the heat of the piston/chamber would make steam, after that you have another exaust stroke totalling 6 strokes. Intake(fuel and air), compression, power, exaust,power(steam), exaust. Like I said, this is my gess.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's basically combining a gas and steam engine in the same cylinder. The big difference between BMW's system and the six stroke is that BMW doesn't use up the water, it stays in the system, where on the six stroke it goes out the exhaust and you have to refill it.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the performance of your turbo would suffer significantly. The reason being that you would lose more energy through the heat transfer than you loose through the wastegate. Steam just doesn't contain as much energy as hot exhaust gas does.

Maximizing exergy has been a research project at Honda. They use water to significantly cool the exhaust and generate steam. They then use that steam to run an alternator, and free up the accessory drive on the engine.