Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing heads, have 2 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing heads, have 2 questions...

I'm putting on a pair of PRC LS6 heads with 60cc chambers with .04 cometics and a 227/231 (LSKs) 115+2 cam.

It seems to be going pretty smoothly though I have only been able to do about an hour or 2 per day on it. I started last Saturday and now I have the passenger head and the cam bolted down.

It seems like it is rather difficult to turn over using a bolt on the crank with a long ratchet. Usually this is just when starting to turn it but once I get it moving I can turn it 720* without much problem. Should I be worried or am I just being paranoid?

Also I somehow broke off that sensor at the back of the block right by the driver's side head that pokes up about 2-3 inches. Is that the oil pressure sending unit? It is well dead so I need to get another one.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you dont have plugs in and you're not building compression, it should have a little resistance, but it shouldn't take all your strength to turn. Do you have the rockers on? If so the cam has to push the springs down on the head thats installed.

As for the sensor, yes, its the oil pressure sending unit. about 30 bucks IIRC. Lots of people break them.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doh! Well I was wondering why I wasn't feeling any compression but I don't have the plugs in so I'm just an idiot I guess. Yeah the rockers are on and everything seems to be going up and down like it should. I'm not really sure about the torque on the rockers either. I have them set at 22-24 lb/ft but then they can turn farther after that. Do I have to worry about messing up the preload if I don't get them to the right spot? This is with caddy lifters.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just torque the rockers to 22 ft lbs then rotate the motor 360* (crank degrees) the torque them all to 22 ft lbs again. Thats it.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Just torque the rockers to 22 ft lbs then rotate the motor 360* (crank degrees) the torque them all to 22 ft lbs again. Thats it.
Actualy Guits, it's better to rotate the motor 2>3 times not just once. And it is also better to install the rockers on the base of the cam following the TDC method.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Actualy Guits, it's better to rotate the motor 2>3 times not just once. And it is also better to install the rockers on the base of the cam following the TDC method.
Well, sure, its good to rotate a couple times after to make sure nothing binds up... But that wasnt what i meant by rotate 1 time.

I always torque, then rotate the crank 360* so that the cam rotates 180*, that way whatever lifter was up on a lobe will no longer be on a lobe on the second pass.

I just happen to put my rockers back on at the end to keep them out of the way while changing springs.