Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car pulling under hard braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car pulling under hard braking

As some of you know, I've only had this car a month, but there is one thing that is driving me nuts! Under hard braking, the car tends to pull to the left or right. If I slow down gradually, it will do it somewhat, but not nearly as pronounced as when I have to stop quickly.

The car is lowered, and I'm sure the wider tires follow the crown and imperfections of the road more.

Is the pulling due to the tires, the fact its lowered, or some other cause?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Alignment could be a main cause. Also do you hear any popping when you make turns? Lower ball joint could be bad also.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Alignment could be a main cause. Also do you hear any popping when you make turns? Lower ball joint could be bad also.
No popping noise when turning. It tends to drift slightly when driving normal and under hard braking pulls. I'll see if an alignment helps out!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

is the steering wheel being jerked from your hand when this happens or does the car just drift?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

The steering wheel jerks to one side or the other, so I have to physically correct it.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by patricksd
The steering wheel jerks to one side or the other, so I have to physically correct it.
You might need brakes, but Im betting your alignment is off too.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
You might need brakes, but Im betting your alignment is off too.
The previous owner had new rotors and pads installed about a month before I purchased the vehicle. When I was at lunch today driving around, I noticed the amount of pull has a lot to do with the road surface. For example, on a new patch of pavement, there is little to no pull. But, on an older surface (especially if it is crowned), it pulls like a ****.

I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the 275/35/18 tires. I am not sure when the last alignment was done, so I'll take care of that soon.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Here in Destin, FL, they paved over sugar-like sand. All the main roads have ruts in them, and it's a bitch to drive the car on those roads, pulls like crazy all the time, worse during braking. For me, increasing my tire size made it worse, 275's. If you notice it on crowned roads and not new roads, it's likely the road. Also, I think the factory alignment specs create a slight drift/pull to the right to begin with. Watch your front tire wear pattern, if you begin to notice one side wearing faster than the other, or any other wear discrepancies, get your alignment checked.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

do an alignment for sure! if your steering wheels vibrates when you brake, then do your brakes, that happened to me, rotors were worped and pads were low!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed this in my car too. I'm pretty sure my brakes are in good shape, so I just write it off as a natural tendency of the car. However, I used to have trouble with the car being twitchy on the highway, it tended to dart around. I got an alignment, and also new front tires at the same time since they were worn, and now it tracks straight as an arrow even if I let go of the wheel.

Quick Reply: Car pulling under hard braking