Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need suggestion on which shift light to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 08:08 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need suggestion on which shift light to go with?

I really dont prefer doing a whole tach with the light just for the fact that I dont want it to be really noticeable. I just want to get a light. I saw a guy who had one behind that little round vent on the driver side pillar. Thats the way I want to do mine because its hidden and will be visible when needed. But now I just need to know which one will fit in there with the least amount of modifying, preferably none. I have no clue is to whats out there, but I want a good one and that lights up red. I dont want to go real crazy and spend $500 (if they even have one that much), but I also dont want to spend $10. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need suggestion on which shift light to go with?

I went with an autometer 5" silver series tach w/shift light, the lens was originally yellow, I changed it to blue, looks a lot better now, if you don't want the tach, just go with the regular autometer shift light, you can really mount it anywhere and get different color lenses...
Old 05-06-2003, 11:13 PM
PR Director

I have the Harlan Shift Light that fits in the A-pillar. Very easy to program and cost around $55 I believe. I am not sure what his website is but maybe someone will chime in who knows.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:10 AM
Teching In

http://www.harlan-engineering.com/

They make excellent shift lights IMO.

Scott
Old 05-07-2003, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have had Harlan's, this one is better IMHO.

Raptor Performance
Old 05-07-2003, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Raptor performance all the way!!! Easy to turn dials to set what RPM you want (set to nearest 100th) Very accurate, very easy to install, and great color choices! Let me know if you have any other ?'s.

I got silver housing with Blue LED's ($103 shipped I believe) Any other colors combinations are $75 + shipping

www.raptorperformance.com

Here are a couple cool places to install it

Brian
Old 05-07-2003, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

The raptor perforance light looks just like the Harlan light. I wonder where Raptor got the idea?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, there are a few lights out there sporting the "dip switch" technology. Raptor's is just a higher quality and more user friendly design, that's all.

Plus great customer service. I had both of my lights delivered within one week.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine is the Matt Harlan unit and is installed in the a-pillar vent hole which it fits into nicely (friction fit). I have had no problems whatsoever and for the price (I paid $39.00 about two years ago) couldn't be beat. It is fully programmable and doesn't need plug-in pills like most conventional aftermarket units.

You can see mine installed through link in sig below,
Ken
Old 05-07-2003, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Is it really worth an extra $50 to buy the raptor as opposed to the Harlan. What makes it better ?
Old 05-07-2003, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe there is only a $25 dollar difference. The design of the Raptor is smaller and more user friendly. You don't need to pull the back off of the shiftlight (as in the Harlan) to access the dip switches. The Raptor has dial switches built in the side. It literally takes 1-2 seconds to change your settings. Plus it looks alot cooler on startup.

Video #1

Video #2
Old 05-07-2003, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

How much smaller is it ? I was thinking of putting the Harlan in my a pillar. WOuld the raptor be too small for that small circular hole ?

Old 05-07-2003, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much smaller is it ? I was thinking of putting the Harlan in my a pillar. WOuld the raptor be too small for that small circular hole ?

Thats my prob with the Raptor.. I want to put it in the pillar and the raptor is smaller diameter so some sort of sleeve would have to be made.. as far as adjustability I would think that once you set it (for the average joe) then you really dont need to go messing with it more.. The raptor is probley better made but does it need to be? make sense??
Old 05-07-2003, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Raptor Performance Specs

Harlan Shift light

The above were found directly on their respective websites.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:13 PM
9 Second Club NA

Man! I didnt think that it would be like this if I was to make this thread. I just wanted to know which one I should go with if I just wanted the light mounted behind the little vent on the driver side pillar. But I guess now that yall are mentioning all these other factors that I should look into, then I guess it does matter. All I know is that I want it to go in that spot that I mentioned without any problems. I want it to light up red and I guess I want it to be user friendly. Ive never hooked one up before, so I guess thats the purpose of it being user freindly. But then again, I guess it would make sense if I was to set it once, then why bother with how accessable it is. So if I do ever want to change when it flashes, I would have to take the whole thing back out? By the way, how do they wire up and mount? I know that you can just turn the **** on a tach to adjust rpm when the light comes on, but how do you do it with just the light? Thanks By the way, to SlammedTA: Thats where I recognized your face from when we saw each other at AMC, it was at the track. I couldnt figure out where I see you before, but now I remember and you were the person that I got the idea of putting a **** light in that vent. Man...that was along time ago.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

RMP adjustments are pin switches in the back of the harlan light.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

The raptor perforance light looks just like the Harlan light. I wonder where Raptor got the idea?
Harlan wasn't the first to make an LED lite...I wonder where he got the idea from? Does it matter? Bottom line, both lites are good. I personally feel the Raptor is more refined and better designed (Maybe because Rick got a chance to learn of the results of the Harlan). Is it worth the extra $$$....that's a matter or preference.

Raptor:
Anodized aluminum housing
More compact
Externally adjustable
More LED's
No dips swtiches-uses (1) for 1000 RPM increments & (1) for 100 RPM increments
$85-$100

Harlan:
Tried & true design
Fits well in pillar vent
lightweight plastic housing
dip switch adjustments
$45-$65 (I think)

I say spent the extra $$$ and get the Raptor....JMO
Old 05-08-2003, 10:19 AM
9 Second Club NA

How well does it fit in that vent I mentioned? If its not a good fit, how do I make it one? Anyone using the raptor in that spot? I kinda wanna put it behind the vent instead of taking its place. I see that everyone has it that way, but Id rather keep it hidden. Thanks
Old 05-10-2003, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

What about a ProForm shift light??? Anybody know about them??
Old 05-11-2003, 12:49 AM
9 Second Club NA

Never heard of it, but from what Ive got so far, Im probably going to go with the Harlin or the Raptor. Im not sure what the differences are between the two, but hopefully I decide by Monday because I wanna hurry up and order one. I kinda like the way that the Raptor lights up when it first turns on, even though that has nothing to do with its performance. However, theyre supposevly smaller in diameter which wouldnt be a good fit in the pilar vent. How many of you are running the light in that little vent? Any problems? Do you wish you would of mounted it somewhere else? Ive had a few recommend me not putting it there because when the windows fog up, my window wont be able to defrost because the vent is taken up. Another important thing that I wanted to know is whats the deal with the dip switches? Some guys that are running the Harlin were telling me when you adjust it for the RPM and cylinders that you have to take it apart and read this big chart and flip different switches in different ways which makes it kinda difficult for me. So how is the Raptor more user friendly? You say that it has external switches, I assume that means that you dont have to read a big chart and take it apart? Is anyone running the Raptor in the small vent on the pillar? How difficult is it to install and how does setting them differ from each other? Thanks

Quick Reply: Need suggestion on which shift light to go with?