Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plugs and Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark Plugs and Pinging

Please recommend which plugs are best for my 02 SS. It has an intake and cat back (no adders). I know it's an old topic but there are new plugs (iridium?) out there and I am curious what's best. Also I have a high rpm 'pinging' sound. It happens around 5000 and past. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Check your wires and pull your pos battery cable. Pulling the cable will reset your comp. Start your car at knight with no street lights or added lights and look for arks near the wires. If the car's cat back eleminated some of the O2's that can cause a tunning prob. Again pull pos. cable, But If you really think its a plug prob. NAPA has NGK 455 or 355 or someting, just ask them to look up. My car has stock plugs and runs fine with 45K miles, and I'll replace with those NGK's after cam install, they are also good for nitrous applications apparently.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

I'm getting the same pinging noise in my car. Happens at higher rpms like 5k or so just like yours. My buddy told me that my car may be running to lean. I haven't checked in the dark to see if I have any arking problems. But I told him that I had descreened my MAF sensor and that the dyno run I did showed I had a 13.6 air/fuel ratio which is a little high considering I have basically nothing done to the car (in the sig). But we're gonna try a stock MAF sensor that still has the screen. He had the same problem and the different MAF solved it. Caused it to run a little richer but it got rid of the spark knock.