New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How accurate are the factory gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How accurate are the factory gauges?

like the oil pressure, temp, battery gauge?

reason I ask is this. the other day I was driving at night comming to a stop sign and all of a sudden my dash went berzerk all the light cut out for a second then came back on all the warning lights etc all lit up and then went back to normal. after a few blocks the airbag light and seatbelt light went off for 5 seconds. I checked the amp gauge thinking the alternator took a ****. however it was around 14 on the gauge.

It drove fine after that wtf happened? was driving normal no racing etc..
Old 06-28-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

They all work fine, except for the engine temp gauge, its more like a dummy gauge in 99+ years. Your lights didnt go off as a result of the alternator, I dont know what caused it though, loose connection somewhere?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I was braking to pull up to my house and the whole car shut down and came back on instantaneously. I was told most likely cause was the battery moved and hit something. I tightened the battery hold-down bolt some, but it seemed pretty tight. Hasn't happened since though.

Good luck and if you find something to the contrary to mine idea post it back in this thread.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UCABlackChevy
Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I was braking to pull up to my house and the whole car shut down and came back on instantaneously. I was told most likely cause was the battery moved and hit something. I tightened the battery hold-down bolt some, but it seemed pretty tight. Hasn't happened since though.

Good luck and if you find something to the contrary to mine idea post it back in this thread.

That doesn't make sense if the car was on...the car runs on the alt when the car's running and on the bat when the car's off...
Old 06-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, but if the battery moves and the positive terminal were to ground itself on something, it could theoretically shut the car down due to the spike in cars electrical system. I think that is why he said "most likely cause was the battery moved and hit something."

Nick
Old 06-28-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by phrozen755
That doesn't make sense if the car was on...the car runs on the alt when the car's running and on the bat when the car's off...
Lets say that he lost voltage form the alternator for just a minute, where do you think its going to pull power from? The battery. The difference is the alternator wont be recharging the lost voltage.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

i would say its your battery....the exact same thing happened to me... i was on the freeway and the car shut down for a split second and then went on like normal...happened a few times and thouhgt it was the alternator....it turned out it was the battery getting old, i had a gel cell battery...if you keep driving like this after a few moths or so the batter will completely take a ****...if you shake the battery and someone turns the car on while you are shaking the car will start...i know it sounds dumb but the EXACT same thing happened to me.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Battery is bolted on tight, and I had it charged right after winter and it passed all the tests at Sears. Car did not shut off, just all the dash light did for a split second and then turned back on again.

I will recheck the connections, this thing only get out like 2-3 times a week for short runs around town.

thanks for the heads up. Also I notice the light go dim when I apply the brakes. Not really dim however enough to notice the difference. Damn GM electrical systems!! should have hired Japanese electrical engineers to design the electrical components
Old 06-28-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Check the positive cable for corrosion. I had the same thing happen and it was because the battery had leaked acid, a known problem on every one of these cars, inside the connection and it ate away the cable from the inside out. When I pulled of the plastic end off of the cable the whole cable basically came apart.