Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

blown/boosted 454 LSx, worth the coin, worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question blown/boosted 454 LSx, worth the coin, worth the effort?

I am consipring with a fellow shop owner to build something HUGE, unique, fast, whatever you want to call it....the set up in my title came up as something that we would consider with the right sponsorships and or financing....

Worth it, or waste of time?

Erik
Old 06-28-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was lookin in to a 454 f1r or novi unit for an f-body lookin for 1k+ to the ground. Money is no issue just lookin for another set up for a future build. Anybody have further input?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well when you start going with the bigger engines (bigger pistons and longer strokes) it kind of defeats the purpose of FI in general because the sleeves start getting thinner... I know that the new LSX blocks are beefy but you can still compromise if you're throwing 15psi or more into it.. Just a thought... If I were to build one I would go no larger than a 42X something... But just for the sake of innovation and to be the first to be there it would be cool.. IF you got the money do it...
Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well it would be a unique project for sure right now as I believe you are not the first to start to think about and acctually start doing it etc... But it just depends on how long it takes you to finish it. Wait too long and someone will have already done it etc... Is it worth doing of course it would be an awesome car, but what are you going to use it for?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

being that he's from so fla, braggin rights and i'm sure he wants to do roll races with the high hp vipers, porsches and of course liter bikes.

if you got the money just do it.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

tall deck with 511 cubes would be sweet!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

The purpose of the car is mainly for advertising for the shop which will soon become a sponsor of this site, and to possibly sell at a later time and date for a profit, maybe even at B Jackson, who knows....it will not neccesarily be in an f bod....the powertrain is most certainly going to be LS though...no doubt...

We are currently talking with some sponsors, and developing proposals...we also want to show it at a booth at SEMA in November (I believe that is when the next SEMA show is)

I cannot disclose the company at this point, but it would be nice...

We would shoot for over 1000 rwhp, but boost would not be ***** out...the plan is to build it right, with twins, to maintain streetability in a badd motha of a car...

I am glad to hear that some have also considered it...

The owner wants to take it further and go over the 5XX ci mark....I think he was smoking something other than his cigar lol....would be nice though...

$$ is an issue of course, but with the right support, and elbow grease...well, it will happen...

Anyone else want in lol?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club

LME advised me to stay with my 402 vs the 454 so I did.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:03 PM
FormerVendor

I guess I don't really understand the purpose of this post. A combination should be chosen to meet a set of goals. With no goals you can't determine if it's worth it or a waste of time.

That being said, I'm building a 427 LSX for my own car, not wanting to go over 4.125 bore for block strength and head gasket integrity, and not exceeding 4.0 stroke as to not compromise piston strength.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Wink

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I guess I don't really understand the purpose of this post. A combination should be chosen to meet a set of goals. With no goals you can't determine if it's worth it or a waste of time.

That being said, I'm building a 427 LSX for my own car, not wanting to go over 4.125 bore for block strength and head gasket integrity, and not exceeding 4.0 stroke as to not compromise piston strength.

The puspose of this post was what you just added above...to see what others already know, or have found out when planning a possible FI build on a larger cubed motor...so, while you don't seem to understand the purpose (??), you answered what I needed to know...so, THANKS!

Like I said, we are going to build it for what WE NEED and want---I hear that all the time, especially in the internal section with the "which cam" threads and "what should I do" threads...people need to choose the parts depending on what THEY are looking for...

I have all the intentions of building something that meets OUR goals..we just wanted to develop something that was real cool...without comprimising the integrity of the motor itself!

E
Old 06-29-2007, 07:59 AM
10 Second Club

if you want a car to make 1000 hp to showcase, I'll let you guys use my ride, provided I get to keep the mods when its done.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Are you looking at turbos only? If you are considering a blower car I'd look at a C6 vette with the following

LSX 427ci and ATI F1 blower A2A with meth

You'll do better on resale compared to an f-body, it would look cooler and be built on an existing platform that people could buy.

A pump gas 1000RWHP vette would kick ****, you could polish the ***** out of everything and it would be reliable.

You'd get top bucks for it as well.

Just my opinion but I'd love to see it done
Old 06-29-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
if you want a car to make 1000 hp to showcase, I'll let you guys use my ride, provided I get to keep the mods when its done.
Your car is def sweet! But like I said, I think we may go with something that is not an F bod...afterall I have an 02 SS we could use, but, ehhhh....maybe so maybe so...you're close too

Originally Posted by Chrispy
Are you looking at turbos only? If you are considering a blower car I'd look at a C6 vette with the following

LSX 427ci and ATI F1 blower A2A with meth

You'll do better on resale compared to an f-body, it would look cooler and be built on an existing platform that people could buy.

A pump gas 1000RWHP vette would kick ****, you could polish the ***** out of everything and it would be reliable.

You'd get top bucks for it as well.

Just my opinion but I'd love to see it done
That would be very nice indeed...vettes have always been sick cars...

I am going to add that to the list...
E
Old 06-29-2007, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

sweet man.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

erik..I'm still on the fence with mine. I also want to go larger than 427 c.i. Like you, I also want to do this because it's going to be rare/unique/cool whatever. I just like being different.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
LME advised me to stay with my 402 vs the 454 so I did.

I got to see u about the 900+ vette
Old 06-29-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by edwardswb
erik..I'm still on the fence with mine. I also want to go larger than 427 c.i. Like you, I also want to do this because it's going to be rare/unique/cool whatever. I just like being different.

Thats me to I want to be differnt. Im leaning towards a very sick build up just going 402 build it for big boost in a vette. BUt if you guys do it Post pics
Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

ima do it....gimme some time, but ima do it...big cube, twin set up, low boost, otherwise, tires wont stick lol

E
Old 06-30-2007, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

I prob. won't finish mine for a couple of years. Being out of country doesn't help. haha I plan to do the big cube, single turbo, progressive boost. I'll start a thread with plenty of pics when it is actually in the works. No secrets here.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Don't forget that the weak link in the Vette is the transaxle. You can make 1000rwhp.... but those driveline parts aren't going to last.

You can take a stock LS2 block, stock LS1 crank, forged rods/pistons, $2200 AFR 225 heads (or similar), $300 LS6 intake, ported stock TB, stock Z06 cam and then run the proper sized turbo/injectors and make 1000rwhp all day long with perfect driveability. It has been done on here plenty of times. This will propel a 3800lb F-body into the 8's. After a while the stock sleeves show signs of wear at the top near the deck (hairline cracking). Meaning hundreds and hundreds of passes can be made on a $900 block.

The LSX block is one bad **** and certainly in another league than the factory stuff... but if you aren't making gigga HP.... than you probably don't need it.

Quick Reply: blown/boosted 454 LSx, worth the coin, worth the effort?