Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Afco rear shock install problem. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Afco rear shock install problem. Need help.

I am installing Afco rear shocks on my new 9" rear end. I have bought the Afco shock mounts and welded them to the housing. The problem is that there is very little clearance for the sock to move in the bottom mount. I have grinded the mount down as much as I can an it still puts the shock in a bind. I'm sure other people have installed these shocks on their cars and have ran into the same problem. Just looking for some suggestions on what I can do? Or, is this normal and the shock will have clearance when its under the load of the car. Pics:

Old 06-29-2007, 10:29 AM
9 Second Club

Just so everybody knows. The new Afco shocks (3870'S) have a bigger bulge on the end of the shock. The mounts will have to be ground down to fit.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used a stock style mount on my rod ended shocks with a bolt in single shear. I didn't see anyway it would work with the style of mount your using. Lg raced with the single shear mount for several years so I'm not too worried about it, I make it a point to check it when I'm under there.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by v7guy
I used a stock style mount on my rod ended shocks with a bolt in single shear. I didn't see anyway it would work with the style of mount your using. Lg raced with the single shear mount for several years so I'm not too worried about it, I make it a point to check it when I'm under there.
Looks like that is what I'm going to do also. I just could not get that mount to work correctly.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with the new AFCO shocks. I grinded away most of my rearend trying to make them work with the old Madman afco brackets.

After trying that for a few hours i decided to use the supplied spacer , bolt and nut that came with the madman kit. I turned the shock 90* and it cleared like a charm.

Here is a before and after picture

Before

After Grinding away my rearend

Finished, Turned AFCO 90 degrees, used spacer to get the shock away from the rearend

Old 03-06-2008, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

Yep, that was the only way I was able to get my AFCO's fit also.

Last edited by Z06kern; 03-06-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Afco rear shock install problem. Need help.