Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

automatic on headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default automatic on headlights

How can I disable my headlights always coming on?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

do a search for "automatic headlights" its been discussed quite a bit. Basically, pop the dash pad up by pulling up on the defroster vent in the middle, unplug sensor and insert a paperclip in the connector to trick the system into thinking its bright and sunny all day. Good luck...you'll enjoy it much more when you're pimpin with the park/fog lights on.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Or you can look in the stickies:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....61&postcount=8
Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

i just tackled this on a 02 camaro. only thing the headlights were manual and changed them back to auto. the manual worked as follows:...

**** far left: no lights
**** in middle: daytime runing lights
**** far right: headlights

the previous owner just went behind the radio towards the right and unpluged a small blue connecter on a square retangle box about 2x3in. the box has two plugs on it. i believe he disconnected the smaller one of them. all i did today was plug that plug back in.
to me the sensor short is difficult because of taking apart the dash. pluss i think that if you did put a paper clip in the connector it would back out while driving sending the wrong codes to the module and you'll have to take apart the dash again.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Disconnecting the blue plug from the DRL module is not a good idea - it's the lazy man's way of disabling automatic headlights but it has undesirable side effects. The blue plug also has the brake warning light signal wire and the parking brake signal wire. Unplugging it will mean that you have no warning if something goes wrong with your service brakes or if you leave the parking brake on. Also, manual transmission owners will be unable to use the remote hatch release because it depends on the parking brake being set.

It doesn't take any longer to lift up the dash panel than it does to remove the trim and radio. If you have t-tops, remove the windshield pillar trim by taking out the screws at the top and then snapping them off. Then just lift the dash panel - it's held down by clips and velcro. You don't have to remove it - just lift it enough to get your hand in to the sensor wires. If you don't have t-tops it's even easier because the windshield pillar trim just snaps off. A paperclip is a bad idea but a ScotchLock connector is easy to use and can be removed just as easily if you want to restore the aumatic headlight function. Connecting the sensor wires disables the automatic headlights without any side effects - in fact, that's exactly how the Firebird system is setup (with a jumper between the sensor wires from the factory).
Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Connecting the sensor wires disables the automatic headlights without any side effects - in fact, that's exactly how the Firebird system is setup (with a jumper between the sensor wires from the factory).
Unless you have a Canadian Firebird.
They have auto-lights.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yup...wearing out headlight motor gears quickly.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

or you can do it the super lazy way and pull the E brake handle up one click before you start the car....won't engage brake, but will stop headlights. Warning though, the BRAKE idiot light will come on, so when you actually have a brake problem you'll be the last to know...except for the little old lady that you rear end.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have a vert you have to remove the screws on the tops of the pillar trims too...FWIW.