Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cylinder misfire resolved

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cylinder misfire resolved

I had a misfire for a while and was throwing p0300 via my predator... the was backfiring and idling really rough... after monkeying around with the plug wires, coil packs, and several sparkplugs, I decided to take a look under the valve cover. Once I got them off I clearly saw what the problem was - cylinder 6's pushrod was bent - when I pulled most of the pushrod out I saw that the little guy also snapped about 2 inches from the bead, took me a while to fish the damn piece from the cylinder head, but once I put in a new rod and reassembled everything the car runs like a champ! It's good to be back on 8 cylinders.

Just thought I'd share that, I'm no mechanic and it was really easy to fix this up. Thanks to those that have posted stuff about misfires, if it wasn't for this site my red dragon would still be puttin around on 7.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

HOLY CRAP!!! [/Peter Boyle]
Old 07-07-2007, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that doesnt make me feel good about my p0300.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slmdLS1
that doesnt make me feel good about my p0300.
Is your engine rattling at idle and backfiring when letting off the gas in gear? mine was doing that, and the wierd thing about it was I couldn't hear anything unusual when placing a rubber hose on the valve cover and into my ear - thought there would be clanging metal pieces or something. The thing that really gave it away was pouring water on my each header pipe coming out of the head - number 6 pipe didn't boil up the water like the other pipes did, so that told me nothing was coming out of the exhuast valve indicating the pushrod fault.

If you're cammed it can throw a false p0300 too so it may be nothing.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dmitriy
Is your engine rattling at idle and backfiring when letting off the gas in gear? mine was doing that, and the wierd thing about it was I couldn't hear anything unusual when placing a rubber hose on the valve cover and into my ear - thought there would be clanging metal pieces or something. The thing that really gave it away was pouring water on my each header pipe coming out of the head - number 6 pipe didn't boil up the water like the other pipes did, so that told me nothing was coming out of the exhuast valve indicating the pushrod fault.

If you're cammed it can throw a false p0300 too so it may be nothing.
i thought about it, and mine is only @ low rpm on cold starts, once it warms up it seems to go away...obviously not symptoms of a broken/bent pushrod. yeah my cam is pretty healthy, but a tech 2 showed slight misfires on 6 of 8 cylinders last week, now i replaced the wires and am gonna check it again on teh tech 2 come monday.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Did you check your other pushrods as well ? I bent 4 or 5 of mine a few months ago and had a misfire at higher rpms. Yours is bent a lot worse then any of mine were so if you didn't check them all I would check them.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

How hard is it to change pushrods???
Old 07-09-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
How hard is it to change pushrods???
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=21