Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installin cat-back....which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installin cat-back....which one?

Alright, i ordered my first mod (SLP Lid) And next check i'm going to buy a cat-back. My choices are between Magnaflow, SLP Loudmouth, and hooker.

I heard some clips of the hooker and it sounded pretty decent to me and for only 300 bucks would save me 100$ over the other two. Has anyone ran this catback? If so, how did you like it? thanks guys.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hooker or Magnaflow. Most people eventually get an off road y pipe and most people hate the sound of the loudmouth with an off road y pipe.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had loudmouth and now magnaflow. the loudmouth does sound really really good on stock manifolds. but once u do longtubes and off road y pipe, it doesnt sound good. its just one nasty, loud, raspy exhaust. somewhat irritable to drive but all hell brakes loose once u go wot!! the magnaflow i have right now is pretty quiet and tame. just a little louder with longtubes and off road y pipe. it does sound good. cant go wrong with either.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:46 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnaflow sounds good, LM sounds like crap.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:59 AM
TECH Regular

IMHO, LM all the way. You may want to check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBDNx57xZvU
Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

i have the loud mouth 2 with long tubes sounds way way batter the the lm1 do a search and you will find my videos
Old 07-09-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad6as
i have the loud mouth 2 with long tubes sounds way way batter the the lm1 do a search and you will find my videos

Where did you purchase it at? the cheapest i've found is 432 and thats before shipping, i'd imagine it'd be at least 50 bucks for shipping. so my cheapest now is magnaflow and the hooker. someone said the hooker would be all rusted out in a year. is that true?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my Hooker Catback. Its nice and quite when the convertor locks up. You can actually hear the radio with the windows rolled down. But I also love the DMH cutout under the passenger seat sweet spot. Its kinda like the best of both worlds. One extreem to the other. I had a chance for a free duel exaust setup at a friends shop. But I believe I'll just keep this for the time being.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

+ 1 for hooker ...sounds great with longtubes
Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Teching In

It's not in your 3 to choose from, but you may want to consider saving a little more money and looking into a GMMG catback. It has a good deep tone and only comes unglued when you're on it which is when you want it to be that way. You can here them at GMMG.com. I've run mine for several years and recently installed an electric cutout, and found very little difference in flow with the cutout opened or closed. Flow being the main issue, I say GMMG all the way.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by La.LS1SS
It's not in your 3 to choose from, but you may want to consider saving a little more money and looking into a GMMG catback. It has a good deep tone and only comes unglued when you're on it which is when you want it to be that way. You can here them at GMMG.com. I've run mine for several years and recently installed an electric cutout, and found very little difference in flow with the cutout opened or closed. Flow being the main issue, I say GMMG all the way.
+1 for GMMG.......gee, they should pay me for always supporting them

in all seriousness, if I knew back when I bought the Loudmouth about the GMMG, i would of saved money a little longer and bought the GMMG from the beginning. It has a nice throaty rumble to it and just makes you get goosebumps. The LM is very raspy at highway speeds and that is what made me not like it. The GMMG is noticeable at highway speeds but more tolerable then the Loudmouth.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 196 Likes on 165 Posts

The Hooker is nice but VERY quiet with manifolds and cats. Great with LT's/ORY.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I've got the LoudMouth... I love it on stock manifolds... it's a definate head turner in town... Which is my favorite part about it... Everybody thinks I have all sorts of mods done to this beast when they hear it... Little do they know I only have intake/exhaust

However, If you have Longtubes and/or Off-Roady Y-Pipe in the future, then you might wanna hold off on the LoudMouth and go for the Magnaflow, it sounds real good with LT's and ORY.

I will be getting my LT's and ORY either this week or next and I'll be able to tell you more then...

basically just know the Loudmouth cat-back is an all around in your face mean *** beasty exhaust that for people like me LOVE IT... some more mellow people out there like to go the more subtle ways with a traditional muffler set-up where as the LoudMouth uses a resonater in place of the muffler....
Old 07-10-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

I think its between Magnaflow and SLP. Price is basically the issue. I'd rather have the SLP though because my friend has magnaflow on his 01 z and it's too quiet to me.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
I've got the LoudMouth... I love it on stock manifolds... it's a definate head turner in town... Which is my favorite part about it... Everybody thinks I have all sorts of mods done to this beast when they hear it... Little do they know I only have intake/exhaust

However, If you have Longtubes and/or Off-Roady Y-Pipe in the future, then you might wanna hold off on the LoudMouth and go for the Magnaflow, it sounds real good with LT's and ORY.

I will be getting my LT's and ORY either this week or next and I'll be able to tell you more then...

basically just know the Loudmouth cat-back is an all around in your face mean *** beasty exhaust that for people like me LOVE IT... some more mellow people out there like to go the more subtle ways with a traditional muffler set-up where as the LoudMouth uses a resonater in place of the muffler....
Old 07-10-2007, 01:22 AM
9 Second Club

go with the loumouth for sure if you want loud and thats what it is!

most people say oh longtubes and the loudmouth sound horrible together but 75% of those people just gp by what they hear on here! i abslouley love my longtubes and loudmouth! ear ringing loud!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camscam02
go with the loumouth for sure if you want loud and thats what it is!

most people say oh longtubes and the loudmouth sound horrible together but 75% of those people just gp by what they hear on here! i abslouley love my longtubes and loudmouth! ear ringing loud!
I'm going with Loudmouth. I like loud. And i dont like the dual/dual tips on camaro's that hoookers cat-back has. And i'm not rich so i probably wouldn't be adding LT's and ory any time soon. Even if i did, if the word about LT's + LM = Bad was true, i could just replace the resonator anyway.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:32 AM
9 Second Club

good call
Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have a loudmouth system for sale if you interested looking for 200 plus shipping cost. Has about 12k or so on the system still in good shape and since it's stainless never have to worry about rust

PM me if interested

BTW. The only reason I took it off was because it made a nasty poping like sounds when i put on headers and a ORY. However on a manifold car I think it is the best one out there
Old 07-10-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

i actually went out with about 15 other F bods a few weeks ago,,,and although i did not find out what every one of them was wearing underneath and out back,,,,,i,,with my magnaflow and otherwise stock exhaust,,was the quitest one there. I love how my Magnaflow sounds compared to the raspy LM,,,just my .02 though,best bet is to hear what others are running,,,if it fits what you like ,,then run with it.