LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LS1 Airlid Conversion, WITH PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 Airlid Conversion, WITH PICS!!!

Hey guys, I was present ( with a camera ) today when Ele-Blue95 decided to do his LS1 Airlid Conversion to his '95 LT1 Camaro.

He got the idea from the_merv. Any technical questions will have to be directed at him, because I only helped by taking pictures and giving an objective opinion on the test drive. Oh yeah, and letting him borrow my bellow so that he could get the car back together. I didn't help because I was doing some weight reduction on my car, trying to make sure that I can stay ahead of him.

Now, on to the pics:

Here's Eric marking the lines to cut in his radiator support. He had previously made the radiator brackets based on what the_merv had done.

Couple of shots of how much was cut. He's planning on cutting down a little more, as well as either dropping the condenser down some more, or tapping the top down a little more.

The K&N Filter just chillin' there:

The metal on top of the radiator had to be cut and bent. He bent the metal slightly upwards later to accomodate the 4 rear tabs of the lid. Also, the small plastic tab behind where the lid was going to sit had to be cut.

Everything in place, but with the wrong connector between the TB and MAF. Wasn't quite long enough:

Everything in place, with the bellow from my car. We intended to do a 3x3 Fernco on his, but it was too stiff, and wouldn't let the back of the lid sit down far enough. It fit so well that we put the Fernco on mine until he can find another stock bellow.

There is still some work to do, such as fabricating a cover for the radiator/lid area, some more minor trimming to improve fit, and giving my bellow back.

Eric just wanted to show that this could be done without cutting the hood. His Suncoast Creations SS Hood doesn't even rub on the lid.

On the test drive, there was a very noticable improvement in throttle response and top end pull. It PROBABLY would have been even more so if it weren't for the two steel rims w/DR's on them in the back seat, and my 220lb *** riding shotgun. The car also seemed a whole lot smoother and linear. You could actually hear the car sucking air for the first time as well.

We expect track results this Friday to see what kind of gains he really made. He or I will report back here with a slip when that happens.

I'm sure that he'll be in this thread later on to answer any questions.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks DOUBT IT for the thread and all the pics. As said above, I will be doing the finishing touchs this week and get track results friday.I plan on welding a plate into the core support for reinforcement. I am also looking at doing the ram air mod as done on the LS1 cars. I will answer any questions any one may have.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Good job but i have a question (noob question) would the airlid conversion suck some of the hot air from the radiator as well.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I can't see your pics DOUBT-IT..I am at work and the Pics won't show up, I'll check them out tomorrow when I get home. I'm sure it looks sharp.
The LS1 Ram Air Mod is just cutting all the Plastic out from under the Bracket that holds the Filter inplace.

Originally Posted by That_guy
Good job but i have a question (noob question) would the airlid conversion suck some of the hot air from the radiator as well.
No because it's infront of the Radiator.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

What is holding the air filter up in place? Isn’t their a lower air box assembly on the ls1's?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
What is holding the air filter up in place? Isn’t their a lower air box assembly on the ls1's?
Right now just the condenser and what's left of the radiator support. Ele-Blue95 is working on that. Keeps it pressed tight against the lid though.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

****..looks just like mine..good job guys.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:08 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the lid just held in by part of the shroud? The ram air sounds like a good idea. I plan on building one for my Formula soon.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
****..looks just like mine..good job guys.
Thanks merv. You were not joking when you said its a pain in the a$$ to do. But like i said i will be welding up the core support, grinding the welds and making it look stock I just did not want to cut the SS Hood i have, Just a few more details and it will be done. Cant wait to see what it will do at the track on friday.

Beaflag VonRathburg, the shroud does help hold down the lid.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will this mod fit under the stock 93 T/A hood?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

where do you get the hose that goes from the TB to the MAF? what was your total cost?

Thanks

Pete

Also on a differnt note, I have the high miler kit also, for the heater hoses, how did you get the stock hoses off?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NotACop97Z
where do you get the hose that goes from the TB to the MAF? what was your total cost?

Thanks

Pete

Also on a differnt note, I have the high miler kit also, for the heater hoses, how did you get the stock hoses off?
That hose between the MAF and TB is a stock LS1 bellow off DOUBT ITs 2000 Z28. Im getting one out of a junk yard tomarrow.My total cost so far is around $105. As for the high miler kit. To get the hoses off, you have to cut the fitting on the end of the stock hoses. Instead of hose clamps, they use crush fittings. They are real easy to cut. Just dont cut to deep so you dont cut the metal under the hose and you are all set to put on the new hoses. If you need more help just let me know.

Last edited by ele-blue95; 07-16-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks pretty neat, I thought about trying this.

The one thing I do not like is hacking up that metal cross member, that is enough for me to say " I aint gonna do this". This is the spot that I lift the car up with a crane to get the engine out the bottom, I would fear that the strength would be lacking.

Do the LS1 cars have this area cutout like in the pic? If they do I would imagine that it is beefed up somehow to ensure that the front of the unibody is sound.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

You guys are making way too much out of this conversion.

I did it over a year ago for cosmetic reasons only after the '98 front end swap. Actually used an SLP lid, cutout the bottom of the airbox, switched from a 52mm Tbody to a 58mm Holley, and installed an MSD Digital 6 ignition with matching blaster coil.

Felt absolutely ZERO difference over the previous setup using an LPE CAI w/ 9" K/N and cutout splash shield below filter.

Car made 371rwhp at 6200rpm with the old setup and I dynoed again on the same dyno 6 months(200 miles) later and hit 367rwhp letting out at 6000rpm. Taking it to 6200 would have just put me within 2 hp of the old 371.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

You get the hose from the TB to the MAF at Lowes or Home Depot. Grab a 3" rubber coupling from the plumbing section, its like $4. Its made by FERNCO. Thick *** rubber and it comes with the hose clamps. I heated mine up a little before slipping over the throttle body to make it easier.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you do that? You are sucking in VERY hot air directly off the radiator...the whole idea to more power is cooler/denser air...and that aint doin it.

Guys stick with your CAI.

David
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Why would you do that? You are sucking in VERY hot air directly off the radiator...the whole idea to more power is cooler/denser air...and that aint doin it.

David
The only time you are sucking hot air off the radiator is when you are sitting at a red light. when you are moving the motor only gets the cold air off the road. I have noticed a big difference just driving around town and on the interstate. The throttle is more responsive and the pull is better no matter what gear im in.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

David

This sits in front of the Radiator, not behind it. You honestly think that at 90mph you are sucking in "VERY hot" air off of the Radiator with the amount of air that is forced up there? Hell even 20mph is enough to cool the Radiator.

And sitting in Traffic doesn't do it either, your Fans are on..

Look at the design and research it a little better..this kicks the **** out fo a CAI..atleast this is ALOT of Air coming off of the Street, and properly made can get a little bit of a Ram Air effect..not enough to make a difference, but for the supply of cold air.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

David
why would GM put it factory on the LS1 when they would know if it would suck hot air in?

i want a FTRA kit or an SLP flowpack funnel thing next for it.

my car pulled harder up top with the lid on after i did LTs.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Do the LS1 cars have this area cutout like in the pic? If they do I would imagine that it is beefed up somehow to ensure that the front of the unibody is sound.
No, the LS1 cars have a hood and fenders made to accomodate the airbox. The support is nice and solid under there, until you do something like I'm going to do and copy SUX2BU's idea on homeade ram air.

Ele-Blue95 is going to weld the metal back in, just reversed so that he still has the cavity for the filter, so structural strength should be maintained. Don't know how much strength there is anyway, have you ever seen the front of one of these cars wrecked?

I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I don't mind hacking mine up to do the SUX2BU ram-air, since I no longer have a front bumper support anyway. But then again, I hardly ever street drive the car.

Quick Reply: LS1 Airlid Conversion, WITH PICS!!!