Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tint Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint Questions?

Hey guys! I'm going to be getting my black WS6 tinted in a week or so, and I was wanting to know all I need to know to make everything right and look good. What should I expect of their procedure to be a good outcome (one piece in back window, etc.) I'm just wanting to know what I should look for when trying to find a place to tint my car well!
Also, the legal limit here on the sides is 35% and back is anything. Do you guys think I should go illegal and go with 20% on sides like I want to do, or just go legal and avoid the troubles? Will 35% look alright? Thanks!
Old 05-17-2003, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Tint Questions?

I went illegal with 20% on the sides, looked really good, had 5% limo on the back...the back was 2 pieces, one piece will show too many bubbles on the top part where the bumps are...some places paint that part others put a solid black piece over it...
Old 05-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Launching!

tape off the window and interior, and spray paint the dot matrix black. or you can get a piece of vinyl for it. but from what ive heard, get one piece for the back. if you get two pieces, ive heard that it peels a lot easier. i waiting to get mine done also, i have my amp mounted in the back in t p[lain view, so i gotta get it done quick. i would go with the illegal on the sides, and if you get pulled over, just roll both of your windows down if possible. good luck.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seroiusly, if you want it to look flawless get some flat black paint and paint the dot matrix are at the top before having the rear window tinted. The make sure you get it tinted with one piece, if they won't do one piece then go to another tint shop.

I painted mine and had the rear window done in 5% limo and you can't tell where the tint stops and the paint starts. Side windows are 20% BTW

Sorry I don't have a closer pic for you.

Greg

Old 05-18-2003, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys! Anymore opinions? TTT
Old 05-18-2003, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

greg, that tint looks perfect!! how is it at night? Do u get harrassed by the police? how hard is it to tape everything up and paint? could i just get a piece of vinal over the matrix and have them do 1 peice over the window and vinal so there isnt a seem? or should i just paint it?
Old 05-18-2003, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

how is looking out of the limo at night, do you whish that you would have went with 20 all the way around
Old 05-19-2003, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will post some of mine tonight if I get the chance. I just had it done a few weeks ago and had 30% all the way around.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:22 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's mine. 20% on the sides and 5% on the back.

Old 05-19-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

I too am wondering how it is looking through the 5% at night.

-Andy
Old 05-19-2003, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

greg, that tint looks perfect!! how is it at night? Do u get harrassed by the police? how hard is it to tape everything up and paint? could i just get a piece of vinal over the matrix and have them do 1 peice over the window and vinal so there isnt a seem? or should i just paint it?
Cool! Thanks for the compliments, and yes it does look perfect. I read all sorts of comments on the web and asked around on how to cover the dot matrix area. The comments I got were, "If it is for a show car then the painted method is the only way to go." and I second that! I was asked just yesterday, during the ZL-1 delivery at Berger Chevrolet, just how I got the tint on the matrix to look so good from a couple of people that were there. The were very unhappy with the tint they had on thier cars as it was bubbling real bad along the dots.

The painting is not that hard to do, it is just time consuming to mask it off and cover the car with sheets to prevent any overspray fom getting on the car. But I am pertty **** about my stuff so I probably took more precautions than I needed to. The painting is rather easy to do so I would recommend it over the vinyls as you only need to paint it once and your done. Viny can degrade overtime in the sun from what I have heard. I say do it right do it once.

Since I race R/C Cars and paint the Lexan bodies I used 1/8" pinstripe masking tape from a Hobby Shop to make a clean masking line for the paint to end at the edge of the matix area. The thin pin striping is easy to curve into the shape you want vs using wide 1-2" masking tape IMO. If you use maksing tape be sure to get the BLUE easy release tape as it will not bleed the paint underneath and remove easily without leaving the adhesive behind. Don't use CHEAP masking tape, pay the extra $1-$2, trust me. Also remove the tape while the paint is still tacky to get a clean edge.

do you whish that you would have went with 20 all the way around
Nope! The limo in the rear is just what I wanted to look sleek, and blend perfectly with the painted area and the surrounding black side areas of the rear window. It's not that hard to see out of (of course every car I have owned had tinted windows) because the window is at such as low angle. Now if you have a regular cab pick up truck with a vertical rear window 5% will glare badly at night as you are viewing straight on rather than at an angle.

Good Luck! Greg
Old 05-20-2003, 01:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the % of tint that comes from the factory?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for the delay, but the site that I borrow to host my pics has been down now for two days. So I have not been able to upload my tint pics nor pics of Last Yellow Bird's CETA.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have 5% all the way around and its dark but not bad
Old 05-24-2003, 06:30 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To SSLS1: What kind of preping does it require to paint it besides the masking and getting everything covered? What kind of paint do I use so that it for sure sticks on the window and wont come off. Please be specific on the paint name, color, style, etc. How does the paint last versus the vinyl tape? Thanks
Old 05-24-2003, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought you were convinced on using the tape or vinyl method after reading your other posts. I'm glad to hear you are thinking abuot the paint method. Welcome to the dark side!

Prepping for paint I just cleaned the glass using Denatured Alcohol that you can get at any paint supply place or home improvement store in their paint section. Isopropal <sp> Alcohol would work just fine also. Then just mask and spray away.

I just used Dupli-Color flat black spray paint from Auto Zone, but any spray paint would do. I used flat black so it would dry quickly and from the inside it would matches the texture of the surrounding factory black areas. Paint will last indefinately, the vinyl will last a long time too but I wouldnt want to take a chance of bubbles forming over time on my car. So paint was the answer for me and it looks flawless.

IMO have the tint shop who installed your tint cut it at the lower edge of the dots and remove the ugly tint area. Then go home and throughly clean the window to remove any tint adhesive residue with the alcohol, mask and paint. Then I think you will be happy.
Good Luck!

Greg

Old 05-24-2003, 08:57 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So then youre saying that the tint that is cut away, (on the dot matrix) doesnt need to be retinted?
Old 05-24-2003, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Correct, That is what the paint is for. The paint is not transparent so you do not need any tint on the matrix after painting. Make sense?
Old 05-25-2003, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

30% on the sides and rear

I'd highly suggest the back be done in one piece
Old 05-25-2003, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Hey thanks guys for all your help and info on the topic! I'm going to get it tinted this thursday, 5% back and 20% sides! The tint shop said they only use one piece for the back, and use the vinyl tape over the dot matrix with the metallized tint. So I'm guessing that should look nice and clean hopefully. Anyways thanks for all your info guys! Also, I have another question! My side windows on my car right now have the theft sticker, roadside assistance sticker, etc showing. What will they normally do when tinting that, will they tint over it, or peel those off? Just wondering, thanks for the info!!!

Quick Reply: Tint Questions?