General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Found big problem after door panel removal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found big problem after door panel removal!

My driver side window stopped rolling all the way up so I figured it was the window motor. What I thought was wierd is that the window was way out of alignment. Anyway, I bought a motor and went to replace it today and found something sickening.

The 3 bolts that hold a bracket for the motor and window regulator came loose and ripped through about 1 inch of fiberglass.

Here is a picture I got from shbox.com's tutorial. I circled the three bolts that came loose.

Since the bolts came loose, it allowed that bracket to move. So everytime I rolled the window up it torqued down that bracket causing the bolts to tear through the fiberglass.

I have no idea what to do. Anybody with any ideas?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You already replaced the motor before, correct? So the rivets(sp?) are gone and now you have bolts holding the motor in?
If this is the case could you use large washers facing outside to hold against whats left of the fiberglass?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JB weld the washers around it or fiberglass repair kit to fix it the correct way. I did this on my ex wife's mercedes when the back panel came off of the seat.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You already replaced the motor before, correct? So the rivets(sp?) are gone and now you have bolts holding the motor in?
If this is the case could you use large washers facing outside to hold against whats left of the fiberglass?
No the motor is riveted to this bracket which is bolted to the door with 3 bolts. It is the original motor.

I bought new bolts, washers red locktite and I have some jb weld in the garage. Lets hope it holds, thanks guys.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The large rivets the hold the regulator/frame ground their holes larger on mine too (but not nearly to the same extent as yours).

Here is how I handled it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/442192-window-motors.html
(Check out my post #19 on the first page and further conversation on the second page)