Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 2.5 exhaust pipe big enough?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 2.5 exhaust pipe big enough?

My 1999 SS has about 420rwhp H/C with Grottyohann long tubes. My Grottyohann 3 inch y-pipe finally let loose and I yanked the SLP Loudmouth. I took the car to a local muffler shop to see what they could do for me. I simply don't have the money right now since my father died a few months ago, I am involved in a law suit; hence I have no extra cash to speak of. I am trying to get the car temporary fixed, as cheap as possible. I printed up several pictures of true dual turndown setups, like the TSP true dual turn down exhaust; to see if they could do something similar but a bit cheaper then $480.00. The problem is that Meineke (the muffler shop) doesn't have a bender that will do 3 inch pipe. They can do up to 2.5 inch; would that be large enough, considering the exhaust will only go to about the rear seat area and it would be duals. They told me if I brought one of the kits that contain an assortment of pre-bent 3 inch pipe, they could weld it up for about $200-$250.00 (about 2-3 hours labor).

Would the 3 inch y-pipe/Loudmouth set-up be more powerful then say a 2.5 inch true dual dump before the axle with bullet style mufflers?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

many people use 2.5 pipe for over the axle true dauls and supports a lot of hp. so i dont think yur gonna loose any hp by not going with the LM, but if you could do 3 inch go for it.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been told that 2.5 can support almost 500 up so I think your okay now but if u ever go with nitrous or FI u would def want a larger diameter

Quick Reply: Is 2.5 exhaust pipe big enough?