Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volant Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volant Cold Air Intake

Is the Volant CAI better than the SLP lid? Whitch would be a better buy?........Thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Personally I went with the lid and FTRA Fast Toys Ram Air setup. The volant will use the scoops in your car. If you've got an SS then your hood will be hot and hot air will circulate back to the air box which is not so good.

I have a lid which faces down and my FTRA pulls air from the outside and under the car which is as cool as its going to get. The air goes up into the air box and cools the intake temperature by atleast 10degrees over the stock setup. It is also more of a frictionless path of air compared to the volant. FTRA has a bigger opening and makes less turns.

I did my research because I was going to get volant too but changed my mind. Research has actually been done on FTRA so check it out.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Resident

just get ya a lid. i can't say much now as i'm turbo but i had an SLP airlid before. be careful about pulling any air from near the air dam and cutting things up...if you sit still remember you pull heat off the radiator with some of these ram air mods and cut-ups from under the stock plastic piece. Be smart about it.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are no sealing issues with a volant cai
Old 07-30-2007, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

O.K. Thanks, It sounds like either one will be good. ....
Old 07-30-2007, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

I went with Volant CAI, I have a custom hood Superhawk model, so the nostrils are fuctionning and are big enough to let air trough and directly into the conefilters and since the hood has heat extractors, no worries about heat under the hood. If you have a functionnal ram air hood, you might appreciate a bit more the volant, since with a FTRA, as sum1 said previously, you have to cut plastic that directs air into your rad, and a heating engine is an issue to consider (Although it's not dramatic). Volant has the look too =P if your looking for some
Old 07-31-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andros
there are no sealing issues with a volant cai
That depends on the hood. A WS6 hood will not seal to the Volant box (without a slight modification), but a stock Trans Am hood will (which makes perfect sense since the Volant was made for the Trans Am hood).

I have a WS6 with a Volant and love it. To get it to seal, you have to get a length of copper pipe insulation (foam tube) from the hardware store. It comes split down the middle and will fit over the stock rubber seal on the box perfectly. The good thing is it's cheap and will seal the WS6 hood well.

I don't have any experience with Camaro or SS hoods, so I can comment on them.

Marc

Quick Reply: Volant Cold Air Intake