Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help edit timing table

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 09:18 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help edit timing table

ok here were i'm at with the timing . i read slowcar on how to tune but the timing deal seems real hard to do i added 5% timing like they said and no knock retard so i add three more percent and i had some now they tell you to log it make some crasy exel spreadsheet this is were i'm lost is there a easer way to tune your timing.and if adjust your timing in high octane cell shoudn't you adjust the low octane one to since your pcm swiches to the low octane table after it reads knock retard or leave it alone
Old 05-19-2003, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Default Re: need help edit timing table

To adjust the timing, I look and see where the knock is at (Gms/cyl vs. rpms)and reduce the timing at that point.

As far as the low octane table is concerned, there are different opinions on that. Some say for safety’s sake, leave it alone. But I always use 93 octane gas so I copied my high octane table to my low octane table. As long as I never get a hold of “bad” gas, I should be ok. As I understand it, the computer will go to the “low” table for several different reasons, even when you are just low on gas, so I don’t have to worry about that.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:10 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

how do i look at the gms/cyl vs rpm i know that what i have to do but i don't know how to pull up that information. do i use edit or autotap v5 live
Old 05-20-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

If you have EFILive V5 you can create a PID for g/cyl.
You have to create a calc. PID to log cylair.
{SAE.J1979.MAF} *15 / {SAE.J1979.RPM}

I export g/cyl, rpms, timing, knock, TP and VSS into excel and then adjust timing accordingly.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:33 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

i looked at cylinder air pid and thats what i thought i needed to do. i will make a log and see if i can figure it out. doe's that pid measure load on the motor and doe's that determand how much timing the motor can handle. i notice and crusing speeds the motor can get up to 40 degrees of timing. i never heard of that on a bigblock or small block. this stuff is new to me
Old 05-21-2003, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure if the pid you saw is the correct one to monitor. You can to "make" your own on any logged file you already have if you monitored MAF & RPM, make sure the MAF is set in metric so it can calculate it correctly. Go to the following site and it will tell you how to do it. If you like I can email you a screen copy of what mine looks like if that will help.

http://www.starrperformance.com.au/e...alculated_pids

As for you question about how the computer figures out how to do timing, the following is from GM Service Tech: (but we seem to be able to control it by editing the high & low octane tables)

“Circuits Affecting Ignition Control

In order to properly control the ignition timing, the PCM relies on the following information:

The engine load, based on the manifold pressure or vacuum
The atmospheric or barometric pressure
The engine temperature
The intake air temperature
The crankshaft position
The engine speed (RPM)
The Ignition Control (IC) system consists of the following components:

The ignition coils
The 24X crankshaft position sensor
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
All connecting wires
The ignition control uses the following signals and circuits in order to control the spark timing functions:

The 24X signal-The 24X crankshaft position sensor sends a signal to the PCM. The PCM uses this signal in order to determine the crankshaft position. The PCM also utilizes this signal in order to trigger the fuel injectors.
The Ignition Control (IC) circuits-The PCM uses these circuits in order to trigger the ignition coils.”

Old 05-22-2003, 10:13 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

thanks for your help. is there a way i can call you. i have a few questions about edit.and i would like to see your graph. thanks mike
Old 05-23-2003, 10:11 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

thanks for the email ill be calling