Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about boost.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about boost.....

Since aluminum blocks arents as strong as steel wouldnt it be a better idea to stroke an ls1 block and boost it rather than leave the stock ci with a big turbo so you wouldnt have to run as much boost...and temps in the combustion chamber would be less and there would be less chance of distortion? Just was wondering about it thanks for your help.

Bob
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Short answer=NO. I'm sure others will chime in to explain why cylinder wall thickness and stroke dramatically affect boost potential, but right now I just don't feel like it. To make a long story short, your ideas are almost exactly backwards.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

What do you think a 382/3 motor is ?

a stroked LS1

Plenty of people use them, as did I, and will again until I can afford an LS2 based motor.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Yes, plenty of people use them, and yes they work. However, as a general question, the extra cylinder wall thickness allows much more boost=much more power. Also, when you approach the limits of available stroke, you have to compromise your pin height in the piston, which also compromises the ring package. The original poster posed an academic question with no actual real-world requirements, so I gave him an academic theory answer. Hell, I run boosted factory craptastic motors, as opposed to full forged engines like I should. This doesn't mean they are better, just cheaper.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, they arent perfect. If bore strength is a concern, just go iron block.

If you are concerned about the long stroke and short piston problem...then dont do it...and Ive already come across this problem myself, and have 8 broken pistons to prove it.

There are many builds out there done cheap ( me ), and not ideal, but they can still perform.

Due to costs, Im going to take that same bore x stroke combo, albeit with different pistons this time. Hopefully it will survive longer than last time. But it did perform well.
An iron block would be the best cheap build, but I dont want that weight penalty.

We would all like to build the best....but in the end, we just do the best we can afford.

Quick Reply: Question about boost.....