Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP lid problem w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP lid problem w/pics

the first and second pics are the over lapping on the front of the lid the third is were it dont want to do down around the corners so its kinda bowed in in center of the lid and the third is the gap on the sides which is really as big as i thought but i dont know if it should be like that or not
the thing might be right so i figured i would let you guys take a look

thanks for your help
Attached Thumbnails SLP lid problem w/pics-lid.jpg  
Old 08-07-2007, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

The lid shouldn't be bowed like that. The middle front of the lid is supposed to rest on the inside of the bottom shroud. I can't tell if you have it like that in the pics?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

do you have it behind that little lip in the front?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

yea liek he said i beleive you have yours hanging over the front, when it is suppose to tuck behind that lip which makes it sit correctly on the sides etc. It will make it so it doesn't rub on the hood either
Old 08-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Launching!

the front of the lid is behind the lip
becouse if the front of the lid is hanging over it the clips down want to fasten down
i think the problem areas on the two corners and its causing it to bowe in and the side to stick up mabey if i shave off the corners a little bit were the lid will go around them that might cause the lid to go down right

the circled parts are hanging over on the part is square is trucked behind the lip hopfully this will help you out
Attached Thumbnails SLP lid problem w/pics-lid-1.jpg  

Last edited by 1979transam; 08-07-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Mine did that too at first, you have to put the lid on back further and it should set in just fine.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Launching!

i have tryed all of that
this has got me confused
Old 08-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem with the one on my 99z. I cut the smooth bellows off about .250in and was able to get it back far enough to get it to lock. The other problem that I was having was the lid was not sealing on the air filter so it would let dirt in. I ended up putting weather strip on the inside of the lid to make it seal on the filter. I am not impressed with the fit of the lid.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Launching!

haha this might be a dumb question but i am new to LS1's so what is the smooth bellow?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979transam
haha this might be a dumb question but i am new to LS1's so what is the smooth bellow?
Is the hose connecting the end of the lid to the MAF/throttle body ribbed or smooth? If it's ribbed, you have the stock bellows. If it's smooth, you have an aftermarket "smooth bellows." The smooth bellows is, IMO, a huge waste of money as it provides next to no gains but is known to crack/misshape/bend/bow lids due to having no flex. The car was designed to require flex in that area, and the smooth bellows doesn't provide that. That's why I'm sticking with the stock ribbed bellows.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Launching!

yeah i still have the stock
could someone post a pic of what the lid is suppose to look like when on the car so i will know what to look for if i just happen to get it on there right

thanks
Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 PM
12 Second Club

You need to push the whole lid backwards towards the rear of the car so the front of the lid sits behind the air filter holder.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Launching!

i had to trim a bunch of plastic off by the two tabs on the back to get it in correctly that could be your problem. get a pic of the back for every one.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Is the hose connecting the end of the lid to the MAF/throttle body ribbed or smooth? If it's ribbed, you have the stock bellows. If it's smooth, you have an aftermarket "smooth bellows." The smooth bellows is, IMO, a huge waste of money as it provides next to no gains but is known to crack/misshape/bend/bow lids due to having no flex. The car was designed to require flex in that area, and the smooth bellows doesn't provide that. That's why I'm sticking with the stock ribbed bellows.
SLP smooth belows allow for the flex. The fernco mod is the one that I believe you are referring to.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
SLP smooth belows allow for the flex. The fernco mod is the one that I believe you are referring to.
All "smooth bellows" designs stink IMO. I've seen them all crack lids and cause fitment issues. Nothing will allow more flex and provide better lid fitment than the stock bellows. Save your time and money on the smooth bellows mod. All you're doing is wasting time and money and sacrificing lid integrity for next to no power gain.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
All "smooth bellows" designs stink IMO. I've seen them all crack lids and cause fitment issues. Nothing will allow more flex and provide better lid fitment than the stock bellows. Save your time and money on the smooth bellows mod. All you're doing is wasting time and money and sacrificing lid integrity for next to no power gain.
^ditto!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

I disagree, the slp ones are the only ones that are worth anything. This is especially when running a wet setup and the nozzle doesn't fit into the stock piece so well. I'm going to be getting me the smooth bellows.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I disagree, the slp ones are the only ones that are worth anything. This is especially when running a wet setup and the nozzle doesn't fit into the stock piece so well. I'm going to be getting me the smooth bellows.
I've heard countless posts of the SLP smooth bellows not fitting right. I've heard of them having to be trimmed nearly an inch. I've heard of them throwing lids off balance, I've heard of them cracking lids, I've heard of them causing sealing issues.

For over $50, you can put gas in your car and drive the hell out of it for 2 weeks. Instead, you decide to give it to SLP for a piece of plastic that does nothing to increase power output. Dude, if you're just going to throw the money away, give it to me

You can get brand new NGK TR-55 plugs and MSD plug wires for about the same price as an SLP smooth bellows. Please, if you want to spend the money on your car, spend it on something the car will benefit from. If you don't believe me, research the smooth bellows a little. There are countless complaints and no proof of it doing anything to provide power gains.