Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

twin disk install

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin disk install

I am getting ready to purchase a twin disk setup from mcleod at the end of this week. Are there any extra steps or anything special i should know before attempting the install? I have installed other cllutches before, but this will be my first dual setup. Any help from the dual guys would be appreciated
Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

are you going to buy the adjustable master cylinder? also you should buy a new slave cylinder too.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

The adjustable master comes with it. I figured i would use the gm slave that i have. It only has about 5-6k miles on it. Also, with the dual setup, will i just need to keep the shim on the slave? Is every thing else just like a single disk setup?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by taws6m6
I am getting ready to purchase a twin disk setup from mcleod at the end of this week. Are there any extra steps or anything special i should know before attempting the install? I have installed other cllutches before, but this will be my first dual setup. Any help from the dual guys would be appreciated
Read the instructions that come with the clutch, twice. The pressure plate, floater plate and flywheel are balanced as an assembly. There should be a paint stripe on all three (pressure plate/floater/flywheel) which must be lined up. The pressure plate and floater plate come shimmed from McLeod. Do not lose the shims! There is a minimum gap between the first disk and the floater disk (i think it was .025" but don't quote me it's in the directions) which is checked while the flywheel is bolted to the crank and the floater plate is bolted to the flywheel (with the first disk in between) but BEFORE the second disk and pressure plate are bolted on. TRIPPLE check that the two disks are properly aligned before you atempt to install the transmission or you will be curled up on the floor in the fetal position crying for your mother. Enjoy!

Last edited by GMRACER13; 08-15-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

so it goes like this flywheel/first disk/floater plate/second disk/ pressure plate? and there needs to be a minimum gap between the first disk and floater. And the two clutch disks must be aligned. I am starting to think that i might be better off getting a shop to install this clutch. I just dont want to mess anything up you know. But as long as i have the gap right between the first clutch disk and the floater.......and the 2 clutch disks are aligned properly there shouldnt be any problem right? What about the shim on the slave? Do i keep it? When you say .025in. you mean measure with a feeler guage right? Sorry for so many ques, just trying to see if this is something me and a buddy can do

Last edited by taws6m6; 08-15-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:45 PM
8 Second Club

It is best if bought (new and assembled) unbolt it and take it apart slowly paying close attention to how everything came apart and put it back together how it came apart...And when aligning the clutch with the pilot tool kind of lift it up a little and the imput shaft should trans. easier...When bolting the trans. upit should go in bellhousing bolt by bellhousing bolt be carefull not to strip the bellhousing...This job is a pain in the *** for your 1st time...
Old 08-15-2007, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Well, i have done 2 single installs before. So i know it can be a pain in the ***. I am just not sure on the dual setup. From gmracer's post, I am not sure i want to attempt it. I am sure as long as we follow the directions we should have no prob. The guy helping me has done several single setups as well. This will just be our first dual.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:52 PM
8 Second Club

Well, i have done 2 single installs before. So i know it can be a pain in the ***. I am just not sure on the dual setup. From gmracer's post, I am not sure i want to attempt it. I am sure as long as we follow the directions we should have no prob. The guy helping me has done several single setups as well. This will just be our first dual.
It is a bit diffirent than a single setup but not really much harder just alot more parts and smaller parts aswell...Just be very carefull not drop or lose anything...
Old 08-15-2007, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

K, i think we will attempt it. If we run into any problems, my friend knows some people that specialize in late model f-body performance. He can always call them up and have them come out and have a look-see. Thanks guys
Old 08-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Restricted User

sounds complicated....lol...
Old 08-15-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

You'll have a better idea of what's involved once you get the clutch. If you've done a single disk install you'll be fine. Just take your time and and stay organized. As for the shim I personally would leave it out. If you want to be sure call up McLeod and ask them. When they set the clutch up they probably assume your not using a shim. Leaving the shim in might, at the very worst, affect clamping force and, at the least, engagment height of the pedal. From my experience their clutches engage when the clutch pedal is close to half throw or a little more.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:58 PM
8 Second Club

K, i think we will attempt it. If we run into any problems, my friend knows some people that specialize in late model f-body performance. He can always call them up and have them come out and have a look-see. Thanks guys
Is the clutch new and still bolted together???If so just take it apart and put back together the same way that it came a part...I wouldn't want to do 1 that wasn't already together...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, it will be 100% brand new, i think i will purchase it from the ws6 store or byunspeed. They seem to have the best mcleod prices around. The clutch is overkill for my car. But, after killing a spec, I dont want to ever have to drop the tranny again. And when i throw some power to it later this year, I know it will handle anything i can dish out.