LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SES after new muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SES after new muffler

Is there any reason why I'd get a P1371 SES code after only changing to a new Magnaflow muffler? A few miles after having it installed, I got a bit of stumbling and the SES flashed off and on. Took it for another drive, ran it up to about 80 mph and the SES came on and stayed on with bad stumbling. I took it to Autozone to get the code checked and it came back as P1371. Nothing else was done other than having the muffler installed. After they ran the code, the light went off and it seems to be running okay, but with a little stumble every once in a while. A new opti was installed less than 1k miles ago.

Does the computer need to adjust for the new muffler?

BTW, it sounds GREAT with the new muffler.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The code you have is related to your ignition system (opti-spark). check the wiring harness and connectors. possible causes are the opti-spark itself, wiring issues to the opti-spark, or pcm related. nothing to do with your muffler. hope this helps
Old 08-25-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlrls1
The code you have is related to your ignition system (opti-spark). check the wiring harness and connectors. possible causes are the opti-spark itself, wiring issues to the opti-spark, or pcm related. nothing to do with your muffler. hope this helps
Sheez, while I was hoping that it wasn't the problem, especially since this will be the THIRD one since I've had the car (only since April!), at least I know how to replace it real quick, but I wonder if the place where I took it to replace the second one screwed it up when they replace the timing chain and cover. Plus it looks like I'm starting to get a oil leak from the timing cover.

Quick Reply: SES after new muffler